New Girl Expo Virtual Tour Recap

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

This past Saturday June 29th I had the pleasure of attending the second ever semi-annual New Girl Expo in Long Beach.  If you read my article last week you know that the New Girl Expo is a one-stop beauty/fashion shop where busy young women of today can update their look, get in touch with their unique style, and find terrific local vendors selling quality products. The expo was founded by UCR alumna Ashley Leon who had the first ever New Girl Expo last September. Leon was a straight A student at UCR when she felt the sudden need last summer to completely make herself over. So, she sought out to create an event for busy students like her where they could do a 180 update on their look and get help in the areas of fashion they needed more knowledge on. Determined to make this a reality, she thought up the idea for New Girl Expo on a Monday and had her first vendor meetings by that following Friday.

I caught up with Ashley at the event to ask her about her experience.

Her Campus: How does your first NGE event compare to this year’s?

Ashley Leon: Oh, not even. It’s probably a complete 180 turnaround. It’s completely different, I think a lot has to do with the fact that we did connect with Karli Henriquez who owns Argyle & Walker social media company. She actually guided us and said “You need to get on your social media [game]. You need an awesome website,” this and that. She gave us all these awesome tips and ended up being our mentor. And we owe a lot of that to her because she really did push us because she believe in our company. I owe a lot of this event’s success to her.

HC: What’s been the biggest reward since starting NGE?

AL: I think obviously seeing a lot of people and that our name is out there. Girls can come and they’re loving it. I see the feedback and it makes me so happy. We really do try our best to choose quality vendors that we like. So, I think the biggest reward is seeing the following we have on our social media [sites]. Because social media, you cannot ignore it now!

So, for those of you that missed this exciting day at New Girl Expo, take a look at our virtual tour and see what you missed!

Fashion

Selvedge Dry Goods

At the Selvedge Dry Goods truck I found some adorable sustainable fashion pieces. They had an eye-catching display of colorful, distressed high-waisted shorts. Inside the truck I found bright tie bracelets and an assortment of unique clothes which they describe as “fair trade, locally made, vintage, re-claimed or re-constructed [pieces].” You can look them up on SelvedgeDryGoods.com for truck stop locations and their online shop.

Website: http://www.selvedgedrygoods.com/

JD Luxe Fashions

This truck had some of the cutest rings of the whole event. With a wide and adorable collection of midi rings, or knuckle rings, this was easily one of the best stops for jewelry. Their website describes their style as “boho chis with a splash of edge.” Flowy tanks lined the outside rack at super affordable prices, and included J.D. Luxe exclusive pieces. It was definitely a vibe of sweet, relaxed sophistication. Not only are their clothes a great incentive to check out their website but they also have a blog with great DIY activities along with health and beauty tips.

Website: http://jdluxefashion.com/

[pagebreak]

Fashion cotinued

Kahoy Kollection

Kahoy Kollection was another one of my favorite stops. Their eye-catching designs for sunglasses were so unique from everything else at New Girl Expo. Kahoy Kollection displayed a wide collection of handmade bamboo eyewear. From sunglasses to glass frames, this vendor presented products that were lightweight and quality. I even got myself a pair. Thank you to Kahoy Kollection for my new favorite sunglasses! Take a look at their Storenvy shop and Instagram for their full line and grab a pair today! You won’t be disappointed. I know I’m ready to hit the beach this Fourth of July in my new pair. Fun fact: Kahoy means “wood” in Tagalog!  

My new sunglasses. Style: Sunset

Website: http://www.kahoykollection.com/

Beauty

Pelon’s Organics

On the side of beauty let me start off with Pelon’s Organics. They had an assortment of wonderful organic, vegan, natural beauty products that made me have to stop by and check it out. From everything to handmade natural soaps, to lotions, and haircare, Pelon’s Organics was a great pit stop. I picked up some excellent hydrating hair mist and I’m in love with it! It’s so lightweight on my hair that it doesn’t make it feel sticky, oily, or weighed down. But it still does its job! At only $7.99 I would greatly recommend picking up your own if you do your straighten your hair almost daily like me. It is unscented and lightweight so check out their entire haircare line today! You’ll love their products, super affordable and cruelty free!

Website: https://pelonsorganics.com/

Bombay Hair Extensions

With my friend along for the NGE we stopped at Bombay Hair extensions when their cute headbands caught her eye. She made an impulse buy of one of their metal floral headbands but she couldn’t have made a better choice. For the entirety of the expo she was getting stopped to compliment her headband or ask where she had gotten it from.

Also, while there I got to try on their hair extensions. I couldn’t resist! They were very soft and blended into my hair color and texture seamlessly. I was so surprised! Take a look at my hair before and after.

Website: http://www.bombayhair.com/

Make sure to like New Girl Expo to keep up with updates of this semi-annual event! And I hope to see you at New Girl Expo Winter 2013! Happy shopping.

FB: https://www.facebook.com/NewGirlExpo

IG: @NewGirlExpo

Twitter: @NewGirlExpo

Lia Gonzalez

UC Riverside

Lia Gonzalez is a Creative Writing major at UCR. She is an alumna of Alpha Chi Omega, in which she held various positions. She was one of the first to write music related articles and artist interviews for HC - UCR. Read more of her articles by searching: Lia Gonzalez, and Music Spotlight.
UC Riverside

UC Riverside