5 Reasons You’re Still Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Riverside chapter.

February 14, Valentine’s Day – the yearly reminder to the single folks that you’re still single. I’m no relationship expert and I have no complaints about being single (aside from the fact that all my friends are coupled up today), but sometimes, doesn’t it make you wonder why you’re still alone? Here’s a list of a few reasons why you may still be single, hopefully you’re not guilty of them all.

1. You compare him to your exs’
You may have been in love with the last guy, but that doesn’t mean you should dwell over him. You can’t expect your new crush to make the same cute little face that your ex always did to make you giggle. Everyone is different, and you should appreciate having a new, refreshing relationship, rather than trying to change it back into your old one.

2. You’re looking too hard
We all have that friend that’s always on the lookout. Whether you’re out eating lunch or just sitting in class, they’re ready to talk to the next somewhat good-looking person they see. Well, even though they’re eager and friendly, sometimes being too eager isn’t a good thing. (Think Gigi from He’s Just Not That Into You) Be friendly if you meet someone new, but don’t expect every guy you meet to be your next boyfriend.

3. You’re clingy
No one likes someone who’s around all the time. Give yourself and the other person some space! It’ll make seeing each other the next time way more interesting since you won’t already know what they did all day or what they ate for breakfast.

4. You have an extensive dating checklist
He has to be 5’9, brown hair, wears only cardigans and button-ups, drives a nice car, has a job, can’t smoke, has to be a dog person, has to take care of his eyebrows, has to use cologne (oh, and the cologne has to be Aqua Di Gio, duh), be a fan of 1D and Taylor Swift… you get the drift. We all want to be with the perfect person, but it’s true about how you end up loving someone’s imperfections if you really like them. So have your basic checklist, but keep in mind that your “ideal boyfriend” may just be another figment of your imagination.

5. You’re not taking any chances!
Cute guy in your history class? Talk to him! Don’t forget that some guys are shy, too. Best-case scenario: you guys hit it off and start dating. Worst-case scenario: he’s not interested(or has a girlfriend), but keep in mind that you still made a new friend/ study buddy! The only loss in this case is if you stay silent and don’t take the risk.

UC Riverside

UC Riverside