This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UC Irvine chapter.

Name: Rachel Cauilan

Year: 2015

Hometown: Martinez CA, small suburban town in NorCal

Major: Literary Journalism, Film & Media Studies

Campus Involvements: Kababayan at UCI, PASS at UCI, Exhibit Magazine Contributing Writer

Favorite Film: My all-time favorite is “A Walk to Remember” because the main character Jamie Sullivan, played by Mandy Moore, was a huge role model to me because I identified a lot with her growing up. For my most recent, it would be “Her” because I can’t get over how poignant and emotional that movie is. It just takes you on a ride of all the emotions you could ever feel.

Current song on repeat: I can’t stop listening to Fleetwood Mac. They’re starting their reunion tour this year so I’m super excited for that.

What’s your favorite alcoholic drink? I apologize but I’m classy and I like my wine!

Ideal date?

That’s a tough one. As long as the person can hold a conversation with me but also make me laugh in an environment that interests me–probably in some intimate restaurant or show or concert–then I’d be very impressed. I don’t want to be too specific because what matters most to me is the connection I develop with that person. But all cheesiness aside, I do appreciate a good candlelit dinner or walk at night!

What do you find attractive in a guy? 

If he has strong motivation and will and he’s passionate about something, it shows that he cares. I admire people who are driven. Also, if he has a particular quirk or talent about him–whether he’s a cook or a musician or something really creative–that attracts me. It’s also not bad if he has a good smile or nice eyes and a confidence about himself that makes him sure of himself, but not in a cocky way. And, if he treats people with respect and he has a good relationship with his mom, then I’d be impressed, haha.

Proudest accomplishment at UCI so far?

I’m directing and producing a huge production this Spring with a cast of about 250+ members for Kababayan called PACN (Pilipino-American Culture Night) and it’ll be on April 18th. It’s the 35th entirely student-run production and it’s been a very humbling and chaotic process for me. It’s been great to really put myself into this production, but it also put me out of my comfort zone which helped me realize my own strengths and weaknesses. But, it also just lies testament to the culture I’ve grown up with through Filipino folk dancing with my family in the past decade. I just want people to fall in love with their culture as much as I have.

What are you most passionate about?

Music, writing, and cultural dance. I feel most in my element when I am able to play the guitar and voice my thoughts through writing, and I love cultural dance because it allows me to know myself better in a way that brings me back to my identity and culture. It almost transports me in a way. I feel that having any sort of passion or hobby can help people keep going in life. It’s what inspires us.

What do you want to do before you graduate? It’s not really what I want to do but I want to leave feeling like I put as much of myself into UCI as I could. I want to leave feeling a sense of accomplishment and having made lasting memories with the people I care about the most.

What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? I feel like I’ll be working a lot of odd jobs because I’ll be a poor writer –so check me out at your local coffee shop or something, haha! But realistically, I see myself writing for a bunch of online publications and involving myself a lot with music and being more proactive about playing and making music because I feel that I haven’t been able to be as active with it throughout college.

Lauren Umaguing is a 2nd Year student at University of California, Irvine majoring in Film and Media and working on a double major in Literary Journalism. She is currently the Social Media Director of the UCI HerCampus team and hopes to work in the entertainment business or write for a magazine in New York.
...