UC Davis (Photo) Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

If it hasn’t been plainly obvious, UC Davis is a pretty sexy campus. Sure we don’t have white sand beaches as our backyard or have pine trees towering over us, but Davis has charms that outstrip all those other wanna-be schools. From our stunning arboretum to the tree-lined quad, our campus always has that warm, “welcome home” feel to it. And you need to take a moment to really appreciate the beauty that gushes out it from those mismatched building walls.

Whether you’re a freshy or a graduating senior, Davis will always be your home and before you peace out, grab your friends (and your camera) and snap some pictures. They say a picture is worth a thousand words or whatever and maybe they’re right but somewhere in ten or twenty years you’ll thank me. I have compiled the twenty things you need to include in that scrapbook of yours. And if you don’t scrapbook, hey at least you have something to decorate your new apartment. Or throw darts at.

Take a picture of:

1. The arboretum: That’s a no brainer. From redwood trees to rose gardens, the problem that you will have is figuring out where you want to take your picture. If you have trouble deciding, just do them all. You can pretend you traveled all over the world on some gardening mission. No one needs to know your dirty little secret.
  2. A cow: Because uh, how many schools have cows? Other than being a rite of passage, if you haven’t seen a cow by graduation you should really ask yourself if you’re actually going to Davis. If you’re lucky you might even see a fistulated cow!
  3. The Domes: Other than the fact that they look like something out of the Shire, the Domes are pretty cool! Tour one, live in one, whatever. Just watch your head.
  4. The Eggheads: Another classic; these things always make me crack up whenever I pass one. Especially the one by the Art building. Go on a scavenger hunt and snap those oh-so-sexy faces. 
  5. Someone napping: You know, those kids who are snoring next to you in Shields, the quad, and the Coho. Or in the some random classroom. And no I’m not entirely sure this is legal.
  6. Davis silo: What campus has a silo in CA? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Plus, at night it’s super creepy looking, like something out of a Stephen King’s novel.
  7. The Unitrans buses: The school would look very lonely and less colorful without those crimson buses carting students around.
  8. Stuffing your face with DC food: An all you can eat buffet, with amazing pizza and endless desserts. If you’re not a freshy, pay one off or black mail them to swipe you in. Just kidding. Sorta.
  9. Working you’re @$$ off at the Arc: After that 3,000 plus calorie meal at the DC, you can pretend to be healthy. Your tuition is paying for free membership so you might as well take advantage of it. Plus, you can prove to your parents that yes, you’re not lazy after all.
  10. The Death Star: The most confusing, ridiculous, maze construction of stupidness. I have got lost so many times I swear I’m going to install a GPS when I walk around that cement monstrosity.
  11. Olson’s creepy elevator: Dim lighting, some weird noises, and the perfect picture to show to your friends that you, indeed, survived the elevator apocalypse.
  12. The Harry Potter Room: Fine, the reading room in Shield’s library that looks more like the domain of Madam Pince. Because a part of you always wanted to go to Hogwarts.
  13. Standing in the middle of the bike circle (in rush hour of course): Because a picture without this phenomena is just wrong.
  14. Sign of UC Davis: Just to prove that you actually did go here. People might not believe this is Davis without it.
  15. The Water Tower: Because we have one and its an icon of the campus. 
  16. Your least favorite place with your favorite people: Does this need an explanation?
  17. Your least favorite place: Burn it, throw darts at it, make a voodoo doll of it, whatever your pleasure. It’s your own personal revenge.
  18. That one suicidal squirrel: They are out there and they are going to find you. Beware.
  19. You: Because it’s all about you. 
Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!