UC Davis and the Seven Eggheads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Simply put, I love Davis. There are so many unique characteristics about this town and campus that make me so happy. If you think of one thing that makes this campus unique, what is it? The thing that comes to mind for me are the UC Davis Egghead sculptures. I am sure you have all seen at least one of these distinct pieces of art in your time. Sure they are fun to look at, but do you know any more about them? There are a total of seven eggheads on campus, all commissioned by Robert Arneson who taught at Davis from 1962 until 1991. Arneson intended for the eggheads to be aesthetically pleasing, as well as a fun and interactive part of 
campus. I think students hold up that end with all the silly pictures they take next to the unique sculptures.

Stargazer
This egghead is located behind North hall, near the old entrance to campus. It is lying facing up, gazing at the stars- hence its name.

See No Evil Hear No Evil

These two eggheads were originally placed in front of the law school building, King Hall. They were created to take a stab at lawyers since these eggs are talking to each other, but they cannot hear each other and cannot see eye to eye. They now reside in the Mrak Hall roundabout.

Yin And Yang
These two eggheads are located in front of the Drama Building. One appears to be yelling at the other, which does not seem to make his fellow egg too happy.

Eye on Mrak
This egghead has a lot of symbolic significance. It sits in front of Mrak Hall and was originally placed there to stare at the Chancellor’s office. Though the face is looking away from the building, there is an eye on the back of the egg facing the office. This stoic guardian sends a message to the Chancellor that the students are watching. However, the Chancellor’s office has since moved.

Bookhead

Ah, the Bookhead. This iconic statue probably gets the most visitors of any of the heads as it is located right outside of Shields Library with its face in a book. This egg has the pride of being the first Egghead statue on campus. This is the only egg that is painted light blue with a slightly tougher enamel. This is probably because it is said to be good luck for a student to rub the Egghead before a mid term or final.

Edited by: Amy Coyle

Sourcr: http://daviswiki.org/The_Eggheads

Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!