This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.
Edited by: Amy Coyle

Name: Teddy Nicholson                              
Major: Explorer
Grade: Sophomore 
Hometown: Davis, aka “The Dirty 530”
Relationship Status: Single

How do you stay involved on campus?
I look for activities that I’m interested in. I really like mountain biking, water polo, creative media of sorts, traveling, and am interested in drama. Once I came to UC Davis, I saw that the Bike Barn was a bike shop on campus that students worked at, and was immediately interested in learning more about my favorite mode of transportation. In the spring, I am planning on going on a Global Brigade trip to Honduras to help work on water systems or architecture. I also plan to participate in a play winter quarter, either working backstage or making props.

How long have you been playing water polo?
I have been playing water polo for eight years. I became interested in it because I had a lot of friends playing, and land-based sports were never really my forté. My favorite part about water polo is that it rewards work ethic more than any other sport. You can be a small guy who works really hard and be able to “leg out” a big guy who just coasts through. I play for the ICA team at Davis and it’s cool, we have a lot of fun and enjoy playing together. However, when it comes time to crack down, we definitely do. 

How long have you worked at the Bike Barn??
I started working there in March, 2011. If you ask any of my co-workers, they will tell you I’m in the back sweeping or doing “noob” things. But, they are lying and the truth is that they bow down to me and call me Mr. Awesome. My original interest in working there came for my love for mountain biking, and wanting to learn more about bikes. I also had a friend on the water polo team who recommended that I apply. I would say my favorite part about working there is the bond that the whole staff has. It is as if a bunch of your closest friends got together and decided to make a store.

What are your plans for winter break? Waiting for the POW POW to come DOW DOW!!!!!! (editor’s note: For those of us who aren’t familiar with the terminology, he plans on going to the snow)

Who do you look up to and why? Most definitely my parents. They have been there for me every step of the way and I am truly grateful for that. They have taught me to work hard and never give up. They come to almost every single water polo game they can and try to participate in everything I am a part of. 

Most embarassing moment? When I was a senior in high school, I participated in an event called Mr. Blue Devil. It was a competition between sophomore, junior, and senior guys to see who was the best Blue Devil. There was a talent portion that the audience voted on, and I was sure I would win. My performance involved the Gummy Bear Song, a 6-foot tall unicycle and a bucket full of gummy bears. I danced around for a while in a short dress and biker shorts, ran backstage and jumped on my unicycle, rode it around for a while, then ditched it to poor Gummy Bears over my body in a sexually provocative way. I later found out that my parents, and grandparents were in the crowd. I ultimately decided it was my life purpose to never allow footage of this performance to be released to the general public.

A QUICKIE (survey) with the Campus Cutie:

Celebrity Crush: Will Smith           

Blonde or Brunette: I dabble

Childhood nickname: El Toro/ Gummy Bear Man

Favorite Pro Athlete: Danny MacAskill

Three Pet Peeves: NOT having Candy when I want it, Jammers, Hiccups

I love it when: People give me candy

Favorite Holiday: Christmas

Favorite Color: Blue

And most importantly, Boxers or Briefs: Speedo

Rachael Brandt is your typical collegiette. Her free time, you'll find her roaming the CoHo, nourishing her hourly caffeine fix or rocking out at the campus rec center in Zumba class. Rachael has interned at Acosta/Salazar PR firm in Sacramento, CA --working with politicians and interest groups to aide their campaigns. She now spends her days working at the Events and Conferencing Center, in hopes of saving up for the many goodies she hopes to acquire while studying abroad next year. After cultivating an obsession for Her Campus, she opened the UC Davis branch, and now serves as campus correspondant.