Mix Me Some Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

Part of being in college means experiencing the nightlife – a.k.a, partying and drinking. I think it’s fair enough to say that we have all had our fair share of morning, afternoon, and, for some of us, even evening hangovers. The endless shots and cheap beers leave our stomachs aching and empty by the end of the night.

While these are nights to never forget, I cant help but feeling like its getting old. Taking shot after shot to get drunk works – I think we all know that. I remember coming in as freshmen when my sister was a junior and she would always say, “We can’t take shots anymore, who wants a mixed drink?” Those words once seemed strange but now I would, and do, give anything to get the buzz from a mixed drink over the shots. So here’s to recommending some mixed drinks that taste better, make the feeling last longer, and get you buzzed quicker.

The Orange Twist

What you’ll need:

• Ice
  • 1 ounce orange vodka
  • ¾ ounce triple sec
  • 1 ounce dry but fruity white wine, preferably Sauvignon Blanc.
  • 3 ounces chilled Champagne
  • 1 orange twist

How to make:

• Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the vodka, triple sec, and white wine and shake well. Strain into a chilled flute, top with the Champagne and garnish with the twist.

Jade Cocktail

What you’ll need:

• Ice
  • 2 ounces pineapple juice
  • 1 ½ ounces vanilla vodka
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
  • ½ ounce Midori
  • ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
  • ½ ounce simple syrup

How to make:

• Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well and strain all the ingredients into a chilled martini glass.

Peach Collins

What you’ll need:

• ¼ cup simple syrup
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • ½ cup chopped ripe peaches, divided
  • ½ cup peach-flavored vodka
  • ½ cup club soda
  • 2 peach slices

How to make:

• 1. Mix simple syrup, lemon juice, 1/4 cup peaches, and about 1/2 cup ice in a cocktail shaker or plastic cup. Using the end of a wooden spoon, muddle mixture until peaches start to break up. Pour in vodka, cover shaker with top (or the cup with plastic wrap), and shake until blended.
  • 2. Divide unstrained mixture between 2 tall glasses. Add half the remaining chopped peaches to each, then fill glasses with ice. Top each glass with 1/4 cup club soda and garnish with a peach slice.

Orange Lime Margaritas

What you’ll need:

• 2 limes?
  • 1/2 orange?
  • 2 1/2 oz. tequila?
  • 1 oz triple sec?
  • 1/4 oz. agave syrup
  • 1/4 oz. Grand Marnier

How to make:

• In a cocktail shaker with ice, juice 2 limes and 1/2 orange. Add tequila, triple sec, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Strain over glass with new ice cubes and float Grand Marnier on top.

Sex on the Beach

What you’ll need:

• 1 ½ oz vodka
  • ½ oz peach schnapps
  • 2 oz cranberry
  • 2 oz orange juice

How to make:

• Shake and garnish with a cherry or orange slice on the side!

Rosemary Salty Dog

What you’ll need:

• Ice
  • 1 grapefruit wedge and kosher salt
  • 1 piece of rosemary sprig
  • ½ teaspoon sugar
  • 2 ounces of fresh grapefruit juice
  • 1 ½ ounces gin

How to make:

• Moisten the outer rim of a martini glass with grapefruit wedge and coat lightly with salt. In a cocktail shaker, muddle the 1-inch rosemary sprig with the sugar. Add the grapefruit juice, gin and ice and shake vigorously. Strain into the martini glass and garnish with the rosemary sprig.

Harbor Breeze

What you’ll need:

• Ice
  • 1 ½ ounces Midori
  • 1/2 ounce triple sec
  • 2 ounces fresh orange juice
  • 1 ounce lemon juice
  • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1 ounce Simple Syrup
  • 1 ounce pineapple juice

How to make:

• In an ice-filled pint glass, combine the Midori and triple sec, then add all of the remaining ingredients.

Coco Mojito

What you’ll need:

• Ice
  • 12 mint leaves
  • ½ ounce fresh lime juice
  • 2 ounces coconut rum
  • ½ ounce simple syrup
  • 1 ounce cream of coconut from a well shaken can
  • 1 to 2 ounces of chilled club soda

How to make:

• In a cocktail shaker, muddle the mint with the lime juice. Add the rum, simple syrup, cream of coconut and ice and shake vigorously. Stain into an ice-filled highball glass and top with the club soda.
Jessica is currently studying Graphic Design and Psychology at UC Davis. She hopes to one day move to New York and work for a fashion or fitness magazine. When she is not dreaming about her life in New York, she is either running, watching shows on hulu, socializing or baking cupcakes. She loves anything that will make her laugh, sunny days  and everything purple!