This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCD chapter.

With finals just around the corner, you’re probably thinking, “Why am I watching Netflix when I have exams next week?” Well you’re not alone — all of us fall victim to procrastination every once in a while. But here are some ways you can stay focused, avoid procrastination and tackle finals week.

Make a checklist

When you make a checklist and realize you have a lot of things to do, you’ll be more motivated to get work done. And there’s nothing more satisfying than finally crossing an assignment off your to-do list! 

Find your perfect study environment

Whether that be the library, a booth at the CoHo or in your room. If you like quiet environments, you might lean more towards the library; but if you don’t mind background noise, the CoHo might be the place for you. This one’s all about preference and where you’re most comfortable sitting for a few hours.

Open your textbooks

This one sounds a bit ridiculous, I know. But I find myself pulling out my textbooks and not actually opening them more often than you’d think. Because I’m on my laptop taking Buzzfeed quizzes or checking all my social media, I get distracted and forget what I was supposed to be doing in the first place! So the best thing to do once you sit down is open your text books.

Turn off all distractions

It’s really tempting to check Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YikYak, Tumblr and your text messages when your phone is right next to you, so it’s probably a good idea to turn off your phone while studying. If you don’t need your laptop to study, put it away. If you’re writing a paper and can’t help checking all your social media, the chrome store has free apps, like StayFocused, that are designed to block sites of your choosing for a certain amount of time.

Choose music wisely

If you like listening to music while you study, make a playlist that you won’t find distracting. Sometimes it’s better to listen a mellow Christmas or movie instrumental playlist than Taylor Swift’s catchy new album 1989– crazy, I know.

Take study breaks

It’s really easy to get overwhelmed while studying for more than one class, so for every hour that you study, take a fifteen minute break! It’ll keep you sane and motivated if you know that you get a fifteen minute break for every hour of good studying.

Find a study buddy

It’s easy to feel like you have to study when someone else is expecting you to study with them, so if you like studying with others, this might be a good idea for you! And besides, your study buddy may know other topics better than you do, and vice versa, so it could benefit the both of you to share notes.

Treat yourself!

After you’re done studying for the day, make sure to treat yourself — whether that be with a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks or binge watching Gossip Girl for an hour or two, make sure that your studying day is not just all work and no play. You deserve a treat for working hard!Say a temporary goodbye to Chuck Bass, turn off that phone, turn on some Christmas tunes and get comfortable in your preferred study space because you’ve got work to do and procrastination to beat. Good luck studying and turning out those assignments for week 10 and finals week!Image was generated on Polyvore.com. 

Alida Araica attended UC Davis and graduated with a BA in English and minors in communication and technology management. Alida is passionate about 90's rom-coms, skin-care, iced coffee and running.
Editor in Chief, UC Davis chapter founder.