8 Things To Know about the 2014/15 Vancouver Canucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UBC chapter.

It was a long and playoff-free off-season for the Canucks and their fans, but they are finally back and we’re excited for a new season. A lot happened over the summer, and it can be hard to keep track, so whether you’re a diehard fan or just getting into hockey, here are 8 key things to remember about the team:

1.     Ryan Kesler is NOT a Canuck: Yes, the ever-polarizing Selke-winning former second line centre of the Canucks was sent to the Anaheim Ducks this summer in exchange for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa and two draft picks. Some loved him, some hated him, but there’s no denying that life without Kesler is going to be very different. Bonino is a talented young player, but will likely not be able to make up for the points that Kesler produced. Hey though, he’s got a super cute dog:

2.     Ryan Miller IS a Canuck: After the Luongo-saga finally came to an end last spring, the Canucks found themselves with two inexperienced goaltenders. Enter Ryan Miller, silver medal winning goalie who we all remember as the guy who Crosby scored the goal on. Sorry, American readers. Miller’s a solid goalie though, and with Eddie Lack looking better and better, the Canucks’ goaltending will hopefully not be an issue this year (but really, when was the last time this team didn’t have goalie drama?).

3.     Tortorella is gone (phew!): The explosive coach lasted only one season in Vancouver, and it was an eventful one. The lowlight (or highlight, depending who you ask) was, of course, the night he stormed the Calgary Flames dressing room, attempting to confront the Flames’ coach after a line brawl that saw 152 minutes of penalties within the first 2 seconds of hockey. You read that right.  Almost every Canuck had a poor season last year, and the coach’s antics were more entertaining than the actual hockey. Torts was replaced by Willie Desjardins, a rookie coach who seems rather unassuming. 

4.     And we also say goodbye to former President and General Manager Mike Gillis: Just 3 years after winning General Manager of the Year, Gillis was fired and replaced by former assistant GM in Boston, Jim Benning. Gillis made some great moves and some not so great ones – his legacy is still a topic of debate here in Vancouver. The Canucks went for a completely fresh slate this year, giving Gillis’ presidential duties to fan favourite and silver fox, Trevor Linden.

5.     The young ones are coming… eventually: Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk, Frankie Corrado and Nicklas Jensen all put up impressive performances during training camp and the pre-season. Shinkaruk and Jensen were sent down to the minor leagues, but don’t be shocked if you see them in Canucks uniforms at some point this season. Corrado and Horvat are currently on the injured reserve, and will hopefully be game ready soon. Does anyone else find it scary that guys born in 1993, 1994 and 1995 could be suiting up for the Canucks this year?

6.     There is a new third Sedin: The Sedin twins, like most of their teammates, had a poor season last year, but expect them to bounce back well. They’re healthy, they have a coach that seems competent, and they’ve got a shiny new linemate: Radim Vrbata. Vrbata and the Sedins showed potential during the preseason and Vrbata is a good addition to the powerplay and to the shootout, two areas that the Canucks have seriously suffered in. And hey, if things don’t work out, maybe Alex Burrows can always slot back in to his old first line role.

7.     Tickets are cheaper this year! Okay, they’re still pretty pricey, but the Canucks’ bad 2013/14 season does means cheaper tickets this season. Fewer people want to go, now that the 2011 dream team seems like an ancient memory. Games are fun, and paying $7 for a beer at a hockey game is something you have to cross off your Canadian Bucket List. They even sell poutine at the arena now!

8.     Eddie Lack is still the best: If you’re not excited about the season yet, there’s always Eddie Lack. The goofy Swedish back-up goalie is the most adorable and hilarious thing since, well, ever. His twitter ranges from bizarre photoshops of his face on a camel’s body to his adorable appreciation of defenseman Chris Tanev. Seriously, even if you watch 0 games this year, you could do with some Eddie Lack in your life.