UAB is Going Bowling!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

The narrative surrounding UAB football’s return just keeps getting better. From the beginning the Blazers had their minds set on making their comeback one for the books. As the season nears its end it’s clear that they’ve done just that! On Saturday, November 4th the football team entered Legion Field on a mission to bowl eligibility. The Blazers defeated Rice 52-21 to earn their sixth win of the season and punch their ticket to go bowling. 

The Blazers scored on their first four possessions of the game before adding a defensive touch down by Brontae Harris. UAB quarterback A.J. Erdely was 20 of 21 with three touchdown passes. Erdely ended the game with 197 yards passing. Spencer Brown, freshman running back, has been a key player for the Blazers this season. Brown is the nation’s second leading rusher amongst freshmen. He had 17 carries for 140 yards, leaving him with a total of 1,049 heading into Saturday’s game against UTSA.  UAB made headlines for their post game celebration. News outlets across the nation such as ESPN, Bleacher Report, and Sports Illustrated featured their story. The passion this team has shared throughout this journey is tremendous.  

This season is bittersweet when we look at the history of UAB’s football program. In 2014 the team was in the same place except Ray Watts cut their program shortly after they became bowl-eligible. Needless to say, this season has been more than just football for this team. It has been a chance to show everyone what they missed out on these past few years. 

UAB is 5-2 in conference play and 7-3 overall. We are looking forward to seeing our Blazers finish out the season. They will take on Florida at Gainesville next week, and play their last home game on November 25th against UTEP. Go Blazers! 

Tamia is a senior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham majoring in mass communication with a journalism concentration. She is currently serving as one of her chapter's campus correspondents.