Meet Katie Crawford!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Name: Katie Crawford

Class Standing: Junior

Hometown: Dothan, AL

Major: Economics

Fun Fact: Spending the semester in Spain with Study Abroad!

1. What did you want to be when you grew up?

As a child, I wanted to be a doctor, which is ironic seeing as I know go to UAB, and then as a teenager, I was convinced that I was going to be an opera singer.

2. Why did you want to get involved with USGA?
Student Government has always been a big part of my life. I decided to join USGA as way to learn more about UAB and get involved in Student Life. I went to my first USGA Senate meeting during the second week of my Freshman year. After that, I was hooked and I have been in love with the organization and its mission ever since.

3. What are some things you want to accomplish in your term as Vice President?
As both a USGA member and UAB student, I think the biggest challenge that UAB faces right now is creating a true sense of unity. Over the next year, I want both USGA Senate and Committees to work on legislation and events that focus on unifying our diverse campus. I look forward to working with Senate to think creatively on how to accomplish it best. In the end though, as Vice President, my most important job is running USGA Senate meetings and encouraging Senators to be productive and effective. I have been preparing for this job for a long time and I can’t wait to begin working with the new USGA Senate next year.

4. How do you plan to handle being out of the country and being Vice President?
It is not going to be easy, but I know that with technology and patience I can make it work. During my next few months in Spain, Skype, Facebook and UAB email are going to be my best friends. I will not be returning to UAB until August; however, I can be reached by concerned students and senators with a simple internet connection at any time. I may be 3000 miles away but it doesn’t seem that far with so many ways to communicate!

Jaime is a junior at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. There she is the captain of her varsity golf team and a journalism and English double-major. She is an active member in the Student Athletic Advisory Committee where she helps organize volunteer opportunities and social functions for student-athletes at UAB. Jaime enjoys cooking, entertaining friends, reading/writing blogs, fashion, and of course, golf. She aspires to eventually write for a major magazine or write chick-lit books.