How to Shop on a College Girl’s Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

Everyone knows that girls all love one thing: shopping! When you have grown up spoiled all your life, you just can’t help it. But what happens when you start college and you most likely won’t have enough time to work a job, maintain your grades, and have a social life, so you’re living off of the unfair allowance that your parents give you. Then with that allowance you have to buy gas (can’t relate), get your hair done (a necessity!), your boyfriend’s birthday is coming up, and you have about four parties and a membership to pay for. So what is a girl to do when the mall is just calling your name and you only have $50 in your account? I’ve struggled with this for a long time, so I think that I have learned a few tips and tricks to feed that addiction while keeping your account out of overdraft.

• The clearance rack is your friend!

I find so many cute clothes for under $10 just by searching the clearance rack. Although if you’re a fashionista that likes to keep up with current trends, you may not be too pleased with last season’s trends, but for girls like me, it doesn’t matter! Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe both have great clearance racks.

• Join the email clubs!

I have joined the email list for just about all of my favorite clothing stores, and I get rewards and percentages off just for joining and I get notified of sales early, so I will know not to spend my money on other, less important things. What could be more important than shopping?

• THRIFT!

I can’t express how important thrifting can be to a broke college student. You can find amazing outfits for under $15, some pieces even cheaper than $5 and you can revamp those outfits to make them look even better than when they were originally worn! Don’t sleep on thrifting just because they were once someone else’s clothes, just make sure you wash your purchases really well before wearing, if you’re extra cautious like I am.

While I’m almost positive that there are better things to do with your money, like saving to get a head start on paying back those student loans, or saving up to buy a car or even move out of the dorms into an apartment, you should always reward yourself with a little shopping sometimes, because shopping is great for the soul!

HCUAB