nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Lead a More Productive Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

1. Use a Planner

The sure way to win is to schedule your day-to-day activities. There is simply too much to accomplish in any given week to not have a planner. Even people with excellent memory tend to forget some details, so write down any and everything that may help you with being productive. Your work schedule, due dates, and the ever wonderful “class is cancelled” messages should be jotted down, along with reminders to clean your room, instructions for an assignment, etc.

2. Set Goals

By setting goals, you will be more likely to accomplish more and make better use of your time. You should set goals for how quickly you plan to complete a task and how many tasks you hope to complete within a specific time frame. By doing this, you will be able to hold yourself accountable for getting off track. The objective is to make the most of your time and avoid becoming a victim of procrastination.

3. Prioritize

Even if you already acknowledge that there is a lot on your schedule and make use of a planner, chances are that not everything you have written must be done. Sure, being social helps keep us sane with the craziness of our lives, but your responsibilities should take precedence. This goes back to setting goals; if you set the goal to do all your homework and run your errands by a particular time or day, you are free to enjoy your spare time as you wish. There is nothing worse than having that 11:59 p.m. deadline on your mind while you’re out with friends. Nothing.

4. Pursue New Things

By adding new things to your schedule, you will be surprised at what you can accomplish within a day. We all have the same 24 hours; adding in a workout, reading a book, and expressing your artistic side are all things you must choose to make time for. Pursuing new things will not only help you become more productive, but it will also help you become a more dynamic individual.

5. Reflect on Your Accomplishments

There is no better way to motivate yourself to continue with a lifestyle change than by reflecting on your accomplishments. After implementing the previous steps, you will surely see a difference within yourself. You will be less stressed, more productive, and more proactive. It will be overly easily to fall into your lazy habits by procrastinating your responsibilities. You and your accomplishments will be the only motivating factors to prevent this relapse. 

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!