etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to De-Stress Your Move

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UAB chapter.

With the semester coming to an end, many of us will be moving to new apartments or dorms or back home. Finals bring enough stress as is, so use the following tips to eliminate any added stress from moving out and prevent yourself from looking like the girl below.

1.     Plan Ahead

Think of what you do and don’t need. Also plan the days you will pack what, which section of your room(s) that you will target, and how you wish to pack certain items. Ultimately, time will be saved both pre and post move-out and the entire process will be more effective and organized. 

2.     Downsize

There is no point in keeping things you don’t need and consequently making your move-out process more difficult. Go ahead and start setting aside things you wish to give away, throw away, and sell. Another way to make your load lighter is by taking and/or sending out-of-season clothes home. Maybe you have things that you don’t want to get rid of, but you don’t necessarily need as of now. Why not just take those items back home (aka your free storage room)?

3.     Breakup Your Packing

Studying for finals, completing your last assignments, and meeting with group members probably take up the majority of your time, at this point in the semester. Don’t leave your packing until the very last moment. By scheduling your packing in between your other obligations, you will be able to pack little by little, which really means less of a headache.

4.     Use Boxes

Using boxes and plastic containers may allow you to organize better and make less trips than if you had just used all your old UO bags (*guilty*). By actually folding your clothes and packing them with like things, you will set yourself up to have a more pleasant, though even more dreaded, unpacking process.

5.     Pack an Essentials Bag

As you begin packing, you may have the urge to hold off so that you can have outfit options. It is best that you set some go-to outfits aside, along with your frequently used hygiene products. As the days go by, you will have what you need and still be able to make progress with your packing. 

My name is Kristal and I am currently a senior at UAB. As a business major and hopeful journalist, I hope to use my gifts and knowledge to reach across the world. I have interests in all things related to society-- hisory, social justice issues, man-made societal "norms." In my spare time, I enjoy working out, watching documentaries, viewing fashion blogs and magazines, and dreaming of the possibilities of my future. Would I forget to mention the importance of "Clueless" references in my life? Ugh, as if!