Holiday Party Ideas for the Budget-Conscious Collegiette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! Holiday parties, gifts and lots of money spent on others (and admit it, yourself too) are at the door. Amidst all the busy-ness of the season, you might want to plan a get together with your friends before everyone goes their separate ways over break. But who’s got the money? No worries, here are some quick tips on fun and thrifty ways to kick off the holiday season without hurting your wallet.

[pagebreak]
Secret Santa Party

You’ve got tons of friends, and you wish you could show them how much you love them all, but a girl has got to eat! Rather than going out and buying a gift for everyone, try organizing a Secret Santa gift exchange. If you’re afraid you might not get your person something they like, have everyone include favorite stores, colors, dress sizes and other hints on their slip of paper. Most importantly, decide on a price ceiling for gifts with your group. They can range from creative gifts with a special meaning to something hilarious that will keep everyone laughing. Secret Santa is a great way to give and receive without grossly overspending!      

[pagebreak]
Holiday Potluck

What’s a party without food? Plan a holiday potluck with friends, and everyone can bring something different to the table. We can’t all be top chefs, but a quick trip to the grocery store will have you ready to enjoy a night of delicious eatery. You can even keep it simple and have everyone bring a variety of desserts and drinks. Or, you can take it up a notch and make it a dressy event which gives everyone a reason to throw on some heels!

[pagebreak]
Christmas Movie Marathon

Have all your friends bring in their three favorites, and you’ve got all the materials you need for this one: popcorn, soda, and a holiday movie. Someone can even bring some eggnog to add an extra touch of holiday cheer. Hit the lounge with some Christmas tunes, and you’re set to have a fun night with friends for less than $5!

[pagebreak]
‘Tis the Season to Give

The holiday season is a time to reflect on how fortunate we are and to give to those who may not be as blessed. This year, try planning a holiday party with your friends that’s centered around others. Have everyone stop at the dollar or thrift store and put together a shoebox full of nifty gifts, and wrap the shoebox like a Christmas present. One of the great things about attending Penn is that we are in the heart of a large city. Contact a local shelter to see how you can be of help and head out with your friends to spread your Christmas cheer. You can even check out samaritanpurse.org to find out how you can send your gift to a child across the globe.

The holiday season does not have to be synonymous with being broke! Adding your own little twists and eccentricities to these ideas can help you have a memorable holiday party with your friends and still have money left over for some New Year’s splurging.

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn