Why You Shouldn’t Brag About Pulling an All-Nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Exercise, lectures, work, hanging out with friends, studying…does this to-do list sound familiar? It can often feel like there aren’t enough hours in the day, so you skimp out on some z’s to fit as much into your college experience as you can, especially since midterm season is upon us. So often I hear collegittes boast about how late they stayed up working, but here are 3 reasons why you shouldn’t brag about losing sleep.

1. It harms your physical health

Many infection fighting cells are released during sleep, so stress from your busy schedule + lack of sleep = a poor immune system.  A little cold might not sound so bad, but sleep deficiency can also lead to increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, and stroke just to name a few.  Many studies have also shown that sleep deficiency leads to weight gain due to your metabolism slowing down (not to mention eating more to compensate for lower energy levels). Your health shouldn’t be put on the back burner because it’s much harder to study for your midterms when you’re sneezing every two seconds and you feel like you’re head is going to explode. 

2. It reduces brain function

The irony of staying up late to be more productive is that sleep deficiency leads to higher stress levels and reduced alertness during the daytime, making you less productive.  When you’re tired you’ll also notice that you’re impatient, irritable, and suddenly everything just makes you SO emotional. The combined inability to concentrate and moodiness will just make it harder for you to learn and problem solve. So next time you’re stuck on an assignment, the answer might just be sleep!

Another reason to get enough sleep is that your drowsiness doesn’t just affect you. Drowsy drivers or drowsy workers can lead to serious accidents.  It can feel like there is no life outside of school, but making the effort to care for your mental health is just as important as taking care of your physical health, not only for your sake, but for that of other as well.

3. It’s not called beauty sleep for nothing

Ever watched a few too many hours of Netflix only to barely make it to your 8:30am class trying to hide those dark circles under your eyes? During the sleep process, your skin repairs itself by replacing old skin cells with new ones. Also, sleep deficiency can increase stress levels so your face gives off more of a grumpy cat vibe.  And as Beyoncé said, “a woman is most beautiful when she smiles.” Sometimes feeling confident and beautiful is just the boost you need to feel confident about a midterm, work, or getting started on that project you’ve been dreading. 

Just how much sleep is enough? The amount varies between individuals but on average you should aim to get 8 hours of sleep. So if you’re reading this right now when you should be sleeping, then turn the lights out and go to sleep!

Resources:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Pictures:

1, 2, 3, 4

Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.