She Dines: North and Navy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’re looking for a restaurant to satisfy your cravings for Italian food, look no further. North and Navy, located at the heart of Centretown, offers their take on Northern Italian food.

But don’t expect your typical Italian dishes here. The restaurant, using seasonal ingredients with a menu that changes quite often, stays away from heavy pasta dishes and pizzas.  Instead you will find a range of cichèti, anitipasti, primi and secondi dishes inspired mostly from Venice.

If you don’t know what cichèti is don’t be surprised, not many people do. They are the Venetian version of bar snacks or tapas, typically served on a small piece of bread. Every time I have been there, which has been quite a few times since the opening of the restaurant last year, the menu has always been different. You can find everything from smoked ricotta, polpette (meatballs), a deviled egg, salt cod to a bresola lettuce wrap. The menu allows you to individually order the cichètis or an entire plate to sample them all. I would highly suggest ordering the cichèti plate; it’s great for sharing and allows you to try a bit everything they have to offer.

For mains, you can find everything from a warm octopus and potato salad, the classic Florentine steak, a flatiron steak with fried salami and a fried egg, to honey glazed quail with rapini and polenta. Like everything else on the menu, these secondis also change seasonally and are based on the inspiration of the chefs. I am still constantly surprised at how well every ingredient has been paired to make a perfectly seasoned, rounded dish.

The restaurant itself is a perfect example of mixing Italian traditions with modern touches. From dark hard wood floors, cushion lined benches and a mirrored wall, to the Venetian inspired plates that the meals are served on. The service, is as always, nothing be exceptional. The waiters have been able to answer any questions regarding the menu or wine list, to find the right pairing or give their recommendations.

If you are planning on trying North and Navy, be sure to make a reservation ahead of time as the restaurant has gotten increasingly popular. North and Navy also offers a Bacaro, located at the back of their restaurant, an Italian version of a pub where people can gather for a glass of Prosecco and cichèti. The Bacaro is especially great for a post-work drinks or a casual get together with friends on the weekend.

North and Navy have been able highlight Italian cuisine in a unique way that will make you feel as if you have been transported to Italy during your dining experience. As an additional touch, they even provide vintage postcards from Italy with your receipt!

To say that this restaurant has become one of my favorites in Ottawa may be an understatement. If the pictures alone have not convinced you to go try this restaurant, they also serve some of the best tiramisu in town!

Check out their website here!

North and Navy
226 Nepean Street
Ottawa, ON, K2P 0B8
613-232-6289  

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Janice Fu

U Ottawa

Janice Fu is a fourth year International Development and Globalization Student with a minor in Political Science. She is currently a writer for the HerCampus UOttawa News Team.