Profile: Danielle Prapavessis, Co-Founder of Seed by Seed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Danielle Prapavessis is full of life and passion for her work, and that’s why I’m pleased to have had the chance to sit down with her to talk about Seed by Seed. Here’s what we talked about!

Her Campus uOttawa: First of all, for those of us who don’t already know, what is Seed by Seed?
DP: Seed by Seed is a non-profit and educational organization that tries to reconnect people with their food by the power of food. Seed by Seed addresses issues people really care about.

HC: Who founded this organization?
DP: Mischa, Andrew, and I started Seed by Seed. We got to know each other by working together at Me to WE. We just combined our different skill sets and this project came to life.

(Danielle and Mischa)

HC: Why is it important to eat and shop locally?
DP: First of all, it supports the local economy and it reduces the distance that our food has to travel to get to our plates. Also, you get to eat with the seasons which means that the food you eat has less food preservation and we don’t have to rely on others to get our food where it needs to be.

HC: What are your programs of study and what are your roles?
DP: Mischa studied International Development and Andrew studied Philosophy. On my part, I’m studying Environmental Sciences. Concerning our roles, Andrew is the computer expert; he deals with our website and our presence online. Mischa and I are the facilitators and motivational speakers; we’re the ones who meet people and educate them on our mission. 

HC: How do you partner with schools?
DP: We do different things, but we mainly give speeches in auditoriums or gyms. We also give leadership workshops where we create action plans through food that will help the environment.

HC: What projects do you have going on right now?
DP:  One existing project we have is the Farm to Table Mission. This project is currently in B.C. where the school has a green house and a community garden and everything they cultivate goes directly to their kitchen for their cooking program. It’s a fun way for students to get credits and learn about food. 

HC: How can people get involved with Seed by Seed?
DP: People located in Toronto can get involved in our community garden projects. You can volunteer your time and to do that you just need to speak to us. 

HC: Do you receive funding to help the organization?
DP: Donations are always welcome; we really appreciate the support! 

HC: Where do you see Seed by Seed in the future?
DP: We would love to create more specific projects and it would nice to have more people involved. 

HC: Lastly, is there anything you’d like our readers to know?
DP: I encourage you to be curious about your food, but mostly to enjoy it. 

We wish all the best to Danielle and her team; we can’t wait to see what Seed by Seed will work on next!

If you like Seed by Seed’s mission, you can visit their Facebook page. 

Picture credits: All the pictures were taken off  Seed by Seed website.

Editor’s Note: Questions and answers have been edited for clarity and/or length. 

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.