This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As summer starts to seem like a distant memory and school picks up, there is still one thing we can certainly look forward to: Fall TV premieres! With our favorite summer shows wrapping up – and a year-long wait for the next season of Game of Thrones – Fall TV gives us some fresh new shows to obsessively binge over the next four months! Take a peak at some of the new shows coming to the small screen this month!

Me, Myself & I (Premieres Sept. 25 on CBS)

After the phenomenal success of This Is Us, cross-generation shows are picking up. Me, Myself & I follows three actors playing Alex at different stages in his life: a dreamer at 14 (played by Jack Dylan Grazer), disappointed and disillusioned at 40 (played by Saturday Night Live’s Bobby Moynihan) and hugely successful at 65 (played by John Larroquette). This show is a multigenerational tale spanning decades across Alex’s life to depict how one person can lose their way and turn in around.

Reasons to Watch: Bobby Moynihan on prime-time tv is a genius move!

The Good Doctor (Premieres Sept. 26 on ABC)

Freddie Highmore (Bates Motel, August Rush) takes a step away from psychotic-serial-killer-forming Mother/Son relationships to play autistic pediatric surgeon Shaun Murphy. The medical drama – while being stuffed with Grey’s-Anatomy-esque medical lingo – really focuses on the question of whether Highmore’s Shaun Murphy can be a successful doctor and surgeon while suffering from mental disabilities. While Shaun’s colleagues struggle to see beyond a diagnosis, the president of the Hospital (played by Richard Schiff) stands being the brilliant doctor.

Reasons to watch: While mainstream media is still finding a way to successfully depict mental illness on screen, this show does pose some interesting questions and depict a group of unique characters. Plus, if you’re like me and going through Grey’s Anatomy withdrawal (September 28th needs to hurry up!), this is the perfect show to quench those med-drama needs!

Young Sheldon (Premieres Sept. 25 on CBS)

Young Sheldon shows us the origins of The Big Bang Theory’s most iconic, quirky character Sheldon Cooper. A 9-year-old Sheldon, played by the superb Iain Armitage (Big Little Lies), navigates his first days of school in Texas in the 1980s. Armitage impressively portrays Sheldon’s classic quirks –like his issues with germs and straight-forward honesty – while Jim Parsons’ (The Big Bang Theory) narration roots the spin-off perfectly in the BBT world.

Reasons to watch: The first addition to the Big Bang Theory universe provides a funny, genuine and heart-warming origin of one of its most beloved characters. If nothing else, Iain Armitage looks adorable in a bow-tie!

Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders (Premieres Sept. 26 on NBC)

Law & Order True Crime has taken the tried and true formula of Law & Order’s crime-drama success and mixed it with real-life events, pulling stories from headlines over decades. This installment of Dick Wolfe’s iconic crime saga depicts the 1996 murder trial of Menendez brothers.

Reasons to watch: Law & Order True Crime gives The People Vs. O.J. Simpson a run for its money with its American Crime pace and their focus on one of the crimes of the century. An immersive exploration of a real-life event for fans of Law & Order.

Star Trek Discovery (Premieres Sept. 24 on CBS)

The newest installment in the Star Trek universe brings a new story from space- the final frontier. Discovery stars Walking Dead alum Sonequa Martin-Green as the First Officer of the U.S.S. Shenzhou and the U.S.S. Discovery as they embark on voyages to protect the galaxy. Martin-Green stars as the first non-captain series lead and the show boasts a diverse cast with two powerful female leads.

Reasons to watch: Sonequa Martin-Green. Michelle Yeoh. Enough said.

The Gifted (Premieres Oct. 2 on Fox)

Marvel’s newest small-screen project is set to premiere in October, bringing a brand new group of mutants to the cinematic universe. The Gifted follows Stephen Moyer (True Blood) and his family as he discovers his children are mutants. The show brings a lot of comic favorites to the screen and is oozing with political themes of prejudice.

Reasons to watch: The action of a Marvel movie packed into 12-or-so hour-long episodes and tons of fan-favorite characters making their debuts!

Enjoy!

Hi, I'm Kailey, a fourth-year student studying Biomedical Sciences and English at the University of Ottawa. I'm an avid traveller, Starbucks dependent life-form, book lover, a devout fan of 80s music, wine addict, movie guru and a proud supporter of sweatpants and messy buns.