This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

School’s officially begun and with it we collegiettes ™ have a new swarm of guy friends to help us study, grab a snack with, and teach us the actual rules of football. For decades the friendships between girls and guys have been examined, especially in pop culture. Awhile back there was “When Harry Met Sally,” which posed the question of whether guys and girls could ever really be friends. More recently the ‘friends with benefits’ trend has inspired two almost identical films: “No Strings Attached” and “Friends with Benefits”. Obviously complications are pretty common with friendships between the sexes. This week you’ll learn the guy’s perspective on some of the most common questions relating to guy friends.

Major: Business
Interests: Soccer, Skeeps, Kansas City Chiefs
Favorite Quote: “It matters now how strait the fate, how charge with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.”
Relationship Status: Single
Turn on: Lips, great smile
Turn off: Really aggressive

Can girls and guys every really just be friends?
It depends on the situation, but guys don’t really worry about it as much as girls. If the girl thinks it’s a friendship relationship, that’s all that matters.

How do you feel about friends with benefits?
I see no problem with it; it’s beneficial for everyone.

What can your friend do to show that she’s interested in you as more than a friend?
I think a girl is interested when she tries to hang out with me more at night rather than grabbing coffee or studying at the library. If a girl texts me late at night, I definitely see that as a major sign.

What are some clear signs that you just want to stay friends?
If I like a girl, I’ll take the initiative. If I never text you first, you’re totally in the friend zone.

Your Advice: It’s sexy when a girl is confident. 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.