nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Land Your Dream Internship in the Print Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Last summer I worked at a fashion magazine and loved every second of it. I learned useful tools for the workplace and received great advice from my superiors that I wanted to share with you!

1. Make a resume

It is essential to have a resume to send out to future employers. I think it is useful to have someone at the Career Center look at it before you send it out. Remember, this is your first impression to employers. A good resume will stand out from the other 1,000 applicants they are looking at. It is a good idea to look at the job description of the job you want and tailor your resume (and cover letter) to that position.

2. ED2010

If you want to go into the publishing/print industry. Ed2010 is the best website to get in contact with employers. Most magazine post their job listings on it for both unpaid and paid internships. Most magazine internships are unpaid BUT require school credit. For Michigan, that means you register for UC225 and received 1 credit.

3. Know the job you want

I really wanted to work at a fashion magazine. The magazine industry is HUGE and is composed to many fashion magazines. Understand the print industry, as well as the niche market you are trying to get into.  In your interview, you will definitely be asked why you want to work at that specific magazine.

4. Don’t get bogged down by rejection

You will need to send your resume out to many places. Do not get discouraged by rejection. Instead, learn from it. It is a useful tool. I even recommend reaching out asking why you maybe did not get the job.  I sent around probably 20 resumes and got 3 offers. It is always better to have options so send out your resumes to as many places as possible. Also, the more inte
rviews, the more practice you have!

5. Be prepared!

Once you get an interview, know the magazine cover to cover. I was always asked what is your favorite section. Interviewers like when you know the magazine inside out. I would read and study the past 5 or 6 issues to get a feel of the type of market they are trying to attract. Know the audience, type of reader, and attitude of the magazine. It is always better to be over prepared and passionate about what you are interviewing for.

Images courtesy of Vogue and northeasternfashion.com.