We Love the 90s: 10 Terrific Throwbacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Many of us were born and grew up in the 90’s and boy, there were a lot of things to love about it! Times back then seemed so simple compared to current times. You played outside for hours and people weren’t constantly connected to technology like they are today. We lived for AIM chat rooms and loved to beg our parents about staying up “late” just to watch some classic Nickelodeon television shows that we still wish were on today. Music was entirely different and we even used Walkmans and cassette tapes. Who could forget the countless hours spent on Gameboys and feeding our Tomagatchis because that seemed to be the most important part of our days. My goodness, have things really changed since then, so here are ten terrific throwbacks from the generation you love, the 90’s.

1. Music

Aqua, Spice Girls, Madonna, MC Hammer, TLC, Nirvana, Hanson, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys…the list is endless. Pop culture was huge in the 90’s and there were so many amazing songs from the 90’s that we still listen to today.

2. Movies

Disney movies seem to still be a favorite go-to movie selection. Who could forget Titanic, Good Burger, Clueless, and Jurassic Park? Throwback to a time before Netflix and DVDs when we watched movies on VHS.

3. Television Shows

Nickelodeon has definitely gone downhill since the 90’s. Goosebumps, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Doug, Hey Arnold, Rocko’s Modern Life, Rugrats, Friends, Boy Meets World, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, we can sit here for hours thinking about how great the TV shows were back then. Now there’s a reality show for everything and anything.

4. Toys

Skip It, Silly Putty, Milky Pens, Easy-Bake Oven, Barbies, Polly Pockets, Gameboys, Tomagatchis, Furby, Beanie Babies, Bop-It, Candy Land, Operation, and Pogs. We have spent hours playing with our favorite 90’s toys that younger generations have replaced with iPads and computer games.

5. Fashion

I mean who could forget how cool butterfly clips were and fake tattoo chokers. Mood rings were all the rage and light up shoes were totally rad. Overalls were our go-to outfit choice and of course, you could never wear too many slap bracelets! What girl didn’t love trying to dress like Cher from Clueless?  Scrunchies, Jellies, stick on earrings, and temporary tattoos were pretty chic for the younger crowd.

6. Food

It’s hard to have just one Dunkaroo or Gushers package. Lunchables were our favorite and War Head contests always were a hit a recess. Bubble Tape seemed endless and Crispy M&M’s were to die for. Who knew colored Ketchup would become so popular and you had a pretty cool mom if she packed Kudos in your lunchbox. Handi-Snacks were amazing, even though it was fake cheese and you always traded someone for your favorite Air Head flavor. How can we forget Capri-Sun and Fruit Stripe gum?

7. Inflatable Furniture

Everyone went through a phase where half of their room was covered by plastic inflatable couches, chairs, backpacks, etc. For some reason we loved clear blow up furniture that you definitely don’t see in bedrooms today.

8. Lisa Frank

You definitely had something that was Lisa Frank if you grew up in the 90s. Folders, stickers, notebooks, etc. everything for school had to be Lisa Frank.  

9. Game Shows

For some reason it was really cool to get slimed in front of everyone and Legends of the Hidden Temple was always on after school. Everyone wanted to be on Double Dare and Nickelodeon Studios was the best vacation spot.

10. Nintendo 64

Mario, Donkey Kong, Sonic, I’m sure you and your friends have spent hours playing on your Nintendo 64. Don’t worry if the game wasn’t working, we would just take it out and blow on it to try and restart it.

Nothing like a little 90s nostalgia to bring you back to one of the greatest time periods. Childhood was much simpler than college assignments and busy schedules. Music, TV, and movies just can’t compare to our childhood favorites. Hope these ten terrific throwbacks brought back some great memories for you 90’s Collegiette’s. Stay Rad!

Elana Jacobson

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst