Thirsty Thursday: The Benefits of Drinking Water

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Your doctor has told you. Your mom has told you. You’re sick of hearing it. But it’s so important that it cannot simply be brushed aside – everyone needs to drink more water! Here are just a few of the most important and relevant benefits of drinking water:

1) Controlling Calories

This might be obvious, but water has no calories! Juices, sodas, and coffee are high in sugar and empty calories. By replacing at least 1 beverage a day with an 8 oz glass of water, you will reduce your intake of these belly busters.

2) Improving Your Skin

Drinking more water will keep your skin better hydrated. With the drier winter months approaching, hydrated and glowing skin will be a hot commodity!

3) Getting Energized

Our bodies are composed of mostly water, and therefore need lots of hydration to thrive. Drinking plenty of liquids will keep your body in tip-top shape and will help you to think, focus, and even feel more energetic.

4) Preventing Health Issues

Drinking water is crucial to our overall health. It also can help boost your immune system which is critical now that cold and flu season is here. Being properly hydrated can also relieve headaches and help you regulate yourself if you have an upset stomach.

5) Relieving Hangovers

Alcohol is a diuretic, so if you don’t drink enough water during a night of heavy drinking, you can get seriously dehydrated. Drinking as much water as alcohol will help you maintain hydration and pace yourself so you don’t over drink. Additionally, it may help you prevent a hangover or at least relieve your symptoms.

So how much aqua should you be having a day? About 8 cups (or 2 of those wide mouth Nalgene bottles) is recommended! You should have even more than that if you are a very active person. If regular water is a little too plain, try some of the flavored waters available in the dining halls, which will add some pizzazz to your glazz!

Bottoms up, Collegiettes!

Allie Bush

U Mass Amherst

Senior Communication Major at UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst