Surviving A Break-Up (Marilyn Monroe Quotes To Get You Through)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Break-ups are the worst. No matter how many times people tell you “he isn’t even worth it” or “you’re too good for him, anyway,” it hurts.  It sucks that people can fall out of love just as easily as they can fall into it. Sometimes, life just doesn’t make sense. But, whenever you’re feeling down on yourself, do some quick self-reflection. We all deserve someone who treats us right and who loves us for who we are. If there is something about you that the person you’re with doesn’t like, they don’t deserve you. We can’t change who we are, but we can change who we’re with, and we should always look to find someone who appreciates all that we are.

Marilyn Monroe, actress, model, and singer, understood this.  Comfortable in her own skin, Marilyn Monroe made a decision to never compromise herself.  She had a very “what you see is what you get” mentality and she is admired for that.  Here are 6 Marilyn Monroe quotes that will help you survive your break-up and help you realize that you should never settle for anything less perfect.

We are all truly amazing and incredible people and have such potential. We are capable of so much and should never let anyone dim our shine. We should be with people who encourage us to express our complete self and we should never hold back.

We all have our moments. We’re only human. We mess up, we make mistakes, we go crazy. That’s life. But if the person you’re with can’t accept the fact that you aren’t always cool and collected, you should start looking for a new significant other. No one’s perfect and the person you are with should accept you and love you for all your quirks.

Take advantage of being young. Meet as many people as you can and take as many crazy chances as you can so you won’t have to look back on your life and regret those missed opportunities. Live it up because you only get one life.

Life is a toss-up. Sometimes things get difficult, but you have to hang in there. The obstacles put in front of you will only make you a stronger person in the end. 

0in;line-height:13.5pt;background:white”>Just because one relationship didn’t work out, doesn’t mean the next relationship you have will end the same way. The next person you meet, just might be the love of your life! There’s no way of knowing, but we must take risks or we’ll never know. You need to be selfish sometimes and think of yourself and your own future happiness before anything else. Believe that better things are yet to come.

It’s pointless to waste your time on someone who doesn’t seem to care about you. Realize that if someone doesn’t want to be with you, it’s their loss. There are so many other people out there who are going to love you for you. Just keep an open mind and heart.

While we all go through rough patches, the challenges we face only make us stronger.

☮ ♥ HerCampus

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Diana Weinstein

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst