This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I Am 2 Radiant is an event where women learn about self-care and self-love. Taking place in the Cape Cod Lounge on March 10th at 7:00, many strong and amazing women gathered to celebrate International Women’s Month.  

At the event we talked about important topics such as body shaming, slut shaming, rape culture and gender discrimination and how it is so present in our society and in our everyday lives. Women are told to dress more conservatively in order to prevent sexual harassment or assault, told to be ashamed of their own bodies, and told to be silent. How can these biased and ignorant views control how we want to present ourselves and how we should live our lives? This event reminded women that we have to appreciate ourselves, that we are strong and independent, and by going through everyday life with our heads up, we are radiant and we can help other women feel radiant and confident in their own bodies. 

The event started off with amazing performances from women in the audience and discussion topics where you Tweet your response with the #iam2radiant. Some responses were: “I help another woman feel radiant by uplifting them in all aspects” and “I feel radiant when feeling down, b/c I know trials and troubles are far from my potential.”  

Later on, Mary Kay representatives demonstrated how to apply an easy smokey eye and the most efficient way to put on mascara without smudging.    

There were also other beauty product vendors at the event such as Head Games Beauty Supply. Here, the ladies are gathered around a table mixing their own conditioners and hair products.

The whole event was put together and made possible by the wonderful women of Soul TV and Rho Kappa chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.  

All pictures at the event were taken by Jessica Chien.

Jessica Chien

U Mass Amherst

Jessica is currently a Sophomore at UMass Amherst. She is a studio arts major who enjoys drawing, drinking coffee and having dance parties in her dorm room. She doesn't like to be rushed when it comes to eating and she listens to her favorite song on repeat when she's walking to class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst