RLCG: 23 Trends Guys (Apparently) Hate: A Response

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

An article from the Huffington Post that made the rounds last month on news sites, Tumblr, and many other venues on the web was a piece by Ellie Krupnick called “23 Trends Guys Hate (But Women Love).” It shows articles of clothing and (supposedly) quotes from guys on the various articles of clothing that they find objectionable for whatever reason. Quite frankly, I just don’t get the premise behind this article.

Even after writing for Her Campus for half a year and seeing fashion articles by and for scores of Collegiettes™, I have no idea what some of these articles of clothing are, and I’d bet you that most guys would have a similar depth of knowledge for fashion. I wouldn’t know a peplum if it hit me right between the eyes. However, the people that Krupnick interviewed acted like it was an abomination when it just looked to me to be a piece of fabric that someone could wear and probably look really cute in.

The guys’ main gripe (and since no guys were actually cited in this, the premise that guys think deeply about make up and specific articles of clothing as presented in the article is spurious at best) is that they don’t think that these articles of clothing are cute or sexy or whatever. They’re saying how some boots with excess fabric look like boots with foreskins and how strapless bikinis make girls’ shoulders look like linebackers’ (which I really don’t understand, but whatever). While they’ve somehow seemed to grasp what these myriad articles of clothing are, they haven’t seemed to grasp one simple fact: THEY’RE NOT THE ONES WEARING THEM. Therefore, their opinion is pretty darn inconsequential.

For the record, I think that most of these things are actually pretty sweet, and if a girl wants to rock a bandeau, or a peplum, or high-waisted shorts or whatever they feel awesome in, I think that’s pretty rad. However, I know that this opinion doesn’t really hold any weight, possibly something Krupnick’s peanut gallery of dudes may have overlooked. Plus, if it makes you happy, that’s the ultimate form of validation, and it probably doesn’t matter whether guys don’t like it, because you do – and you’re the one wearing it. In summary, screw Krupnick’s article. Wear whatever you want, and as long as you feel as awesome as you all are, you’ll look like a million bucks. Guaranteed.

Benjamin Bosco

U Mass Amherst

Ben Bosco: writer, musician, compendium of useless knowledge. If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst