Long Hair, Sometimes I Care: 17 Long-Haired Girl Problems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Those of you with particularly lengthy locks who get anxiety just hearing the word “haircut” will understand me when I say that long hair is not just a hairstyle, it is a lifestyle. It consumes your time, money, energy, and eventually your entire being. Hair is life. You have more hair products than CVS and hair compliments are your favorite kind. Your hair gets stuck in your earring, your necklace, your zipper, someone else’s zipper and a door on a daily basis. It’s your prized possession, you love to hate it and you hate to love it. Here are 17 other daily struggles you may be familiar with:

Doing this every two seconds:

Lip gloss attracts your hair like a magnet.

It takes twice as long to curl or straighten it.

You need to buy two boxes of hair dye because one isn’t enough, and shampoo and conditioner very often…

Random urges to cut off all your hair like Miley or Rihanna, but knowing you’d never go through with it…

You shed everywhere you go.

It can really get in the way during… ya know…

And you may wake up looking like…

You can’t fit all your hair in a selfie:

Even your yearly salon visit to get a trim terrifies the living hell out of you:

And no one notices after you get it done:

Having to control yourself when asked obnoxious questions like, “How do you get your hair so long?” or “When was the last time you got a haircut?”

A bad hair day is a bad day.

Your arm gets tired combing your hair when you’re only halfway through.

Perfecting a messy bun is an art form.

This is what you think you look like with your hair blowing in the wind:

What you really look like:

Being mistaken for Rapunzel (JK, that’s awesome)…

Because despite all these struggle, let’s be honest: for these luscious manes we just can’t bring ourselves to part with, it’s totally worth it.

Katie Gainer

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst