A Letter to Older Generations: Why We Appear to Be Addicted to Our Smartphones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear Older Generations,

I would like to clear up an issue about Millennials and our smartphones. For many of us, cell phone use began as a way to call and text family and friends. They made it really easy to stay connected.

Once the world realized what a useful tool this portable phone was, they began to evolve. Quickly. We began seeing mobile phones that included a camera, sometimes even a full keyboard.

A cell started serving two purposes: a portable communication device and a pocket-sized camera.

Not long after, they even started to include access to email. In fact, Internet access became standard. Cell phones then added both full keyboards and touch screens. Eventually, the app was invented, giving cell phones a real purpose.

What was once just a phone is so much more now. We are NOT using it to communicate constantly. Sure, that might have been true in our middle school years, but now our phones serve a much greater purpose: we check important emails, write ourselves reminders, adjust our calendars, and stay informed about current events.

Think about it—we have a pocket-sized computer with applications for seemingly every aspect of our daily lives. Isn’t it understandable for us to be taking full advantage of such a fantastic piece of technology? 

From my own experiences, those of you (non-Millennials) who have embraced smartphones tend to spend the same amount of time as we do. You understand the many amazing things these tiny pieces of technology offer.

So for those of you who tell us to “stop texting” or assume that we are only using our phones for social media purposes, please consider the real possibility that we aren’t just using them for superficial reasons. 

We are a technology-driven generation and the frequent use of these amazing smartphones is inevitable. Rather than complaining about their existence, we should embrace all that these incredible devices are capable of.

Sincerely,

Millennials

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3

Hey everyone! My name's Kelly Tierney and I'm a Senior here at Umass Amherst majoring in English and minoring in Education.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst