This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Welcome back for second semester, Collegiettes! After a long break full of high school friends, family, holidays, and binging on Netflix and food- we are finally back! Back for another semester of world class food, friends, and classes of course. It’s so exciting going back to school, and all students are full of butterflies on the drive back to campus. It’s all so much fun, at least until you get out of the car.

If the temperature is above 32 degrees one day, then it is a great day. The cold really hits you in the face when you get back to UMass, but it’s a price all students here unwillingly have to pay. Let’s not even talk about the walk to the dining halls during Juno…

To top it off, it’s always fun going on Instagram and seeing your friend that goes to UMiami post photos from the beach with the caption “sunny and 75”, while you’re watching the snow get plowed outside your dorm. We should write a song called “overcast and 14”- I think it’d be a hit for students in the Northeast. 

Just keep reminding yourself that we have better food up here. 

Speaking of food, the best feeling is going back to one of the amazing UMass dining halls and indulging on all your favorite foods once again. One bite makes it all worth it, and you’ll completely forget about your mom’s homemade lasagna once Mac and Cheese Monday rolls around.

We can all also go back to eating like an unchaperoned child at a birthday party because our parents aren’t there anymore to tell us we can only have one helping of dessert. There’s no serving size when it comes to Berk’s chocolate chip cookies. 

Let’s not forget about all the people we came back to see, either! Getting back to school and seeing your college friends again is the best part of coming back. Whether you saw each other over break or not, the reunion is even better when you’re all back at school. 

You missed these guys, because they’re the ones that truly know all the answers to those awkward questions you got from your family over the holidays, and they’re the ones in the photos your great aunt is referring to when she smirks and says “it looks like you’re having a great time at school!” 

Speaking of great times, syllabus week at the zoo is a marathon of an event. You finally get to go to real parties again, instead of just hanging with friends driving around town doing nothing. Getting back to weekends at UMass is something most students look forward to for the entire break. 

It’s called the zoo for a reason.

But of course, the best part of going back to school is getting back to class- time to hit the books… or your desk.

Welcome back to UMass for another semester, Collegiettes!

Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Marketing Major at UMass Amherst in the Commonwealth Honors College and Isenberg School of Management
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst