4 Cliché Halloween Costumes and What to Wear Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Collegiettes are busy, so as Halloween approaches it can be easy to fall back on something that’s lying in the back of the closet from last year, which is fine! Halloween is all about creativity and  if you can put together an ensemble from something that you already have, you’ve done Halloween right. That being said, don’t fall into the trap of wearing one of these cliché Halloween costumes.

1) Cliche: Any Animal Alternative: Beanie Baby

Yes it’s easy to throw on your favorite LBD and a pair of cat ears and call it a day, but you’ll also be sporting the same frock as about 15 other girls at the party. You can make easy switches to keep this costume simple, but a little bit more exciting. For example, add a homemade signature red tag around your neck to be a beanie baby.

2) Cliche: Tom Cruise in Risky Business Alternative: Ferris Bueller in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

We know you look cute in your guy’s boxers, and this idea is cheap and easy, but you Collegiettes are neglecting all of the other great 80s movies out there! Why not dress up as Marty McFly from Back to The Future, or Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off?

3) Cliche: Referee Alternative: Athlete

There are many variations of this store-bought getup and they are all equally unoriginal. Whether it’s the sexy referee or the sexy nurse, I can guarantee that you just wasted $60. Instead of being the sexy referee, switch it up and sport your favorite UMass gear by being a UMass athlete! You can still make this one sexy and you can be creative with it. You can also save boatloads of money by using gear that you already have.

4) Cliche: Cowgirl Alternative: Hipster

Have you seen this look before? A flannel shirt tied up and some denim shorts complete the cowgirl Halloween costume… we’re kind of over it. Why not get creative and dress up as a different US demographic? You could be a west coast hipster instead. Get creative; as long as you’re avoiding this overdone costume, you’ll be good.

There are millions of creative group costumes out there! If you’re lacking creativity, go to this Halloween costume site which will generate ideas for you based on your age group, budget, the amount of time you have to prepare, etc.

It’s time to get cracking collegiettes! Don’t let yourself wear one of these clichéd Halloween costumes this year! 

Lexi Sheldon

U Mass Amherst '16

Lexi is Associate, Integrated Marketing at Her Campus Media. She graduated from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in May 2016 where she studied Journalism and Communication. Prior to joining the national team, Lexi was a contributor and social media editor for the Her Campus chapter at UMass Amherst. Her Digital Marketing internship at Elle Magazine inspired her to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time Lexi enjoys catching up on her favorite fashion blogs, running, reading and planning her next adventure.