harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Reasons Why It’s Okay to Skip a Weekend of Partying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Five days full of classes, homework, studying, working and trying to stay on top of club activities takes a major toll on your body, especially mentally. But when Friday night finally comes around, it seems like the entire student body finds its second wind. We become totally charged up for two nights of partying and being totally carefree, thanks to being confined in a lecture hall since Monday morning. Physically you might feel amped up enough to go out with the girls, but when you really think about it, sometimes you just really, really, really want to throw on your sweats and just sit on your bed while binge-watching “Friends.”

This is completely okay—take a vacation from going out and let yourself relax without anyone around to bother you! Sure, that nail-biting FOMO will probably set in while you’re eating pizza in bed and scrolling through Instagram to see your friends having a blast at the townhouses without you. My advice is to just ignore that for a weekend; it’s important to let your body rest—physically and mentally—every now and then. 

1. Your brain wants a break.

After enduring hours and hours of lectures, discussions, exams and homework, your brain needs time to calm down and take a breather. Let your mind take a step back after working hard all week long. Partying won’t be much fun if your brain is overworked and in desperate need of some down time.

2. Your body needs sleep in order to stay healthy.

We’ve all gotten sick after getting too little sleep, right? That’s because our immune systems need to recharge in order to stay in mint condition to keep us from missing the next three days of classes due to the infamous UMass Plague.”

3. You’ll make better choices.

When you’ve been up for hours on end throughout the week, you’ll inevitably start making choices that really aren’t in your best interest. This could lead to endangering yourself, and maybe even others. Taking a couple days to rest up for the upcoming week benefits everyone, so grab that Snuggie you hide in your drawer and let the “Grey’s Anatomy” marathon begin. 

4. You’ll be more productive.

Giving yourself a weekend to recharge will definitely help you get through your Monday 8 a.m. with ease. You won’t be dragging your body into class and working like a zombie. Instead, you’ll be attentive and ready to take on whatever assignments your professor has to throw your way.

5. You won’t be cramming in your homework on Sunday night.

Since you’ll have your weekend open, you can tackle all that homework you have sitting on your desk. You can do this little by little over the next few days rather than pulling an all-nighter on Sunday and cramming to fulfill that five page minimum for your Shakespeare essay, while simultaneously trying to solve 30 calculus problems until the crack of dawn. 

To drink Red Bull, or not to drink Red Bull, that is the question…

6. Your mood will improve.

Admit it—when you don’t get enough sleep, your inner-monster awakens and everyone and everything becomes your enemy. Taking a break from the frat parties and drinking games for a couple of days will keep that positive light on your day.

7. You’ll have some YOU-time.

Living at a college, you really don’t get a long time to be away from people. By staying in on just one measly Friday night, you’ll be able to relax, throw on a baggy t-shirt and just be you—no shaving, no makeup, no burning your fingers with the hair straightener. It’s just you, Netflix and a cup of cocoa.

8. Your social life won’t suffer, don’t worry.

Two nights away from your friends won’t be the downfall of your social life. Yeah, it’s important to make sure you regularly let yourself go out and have a good time, but it’s equally important to give yourself a break. Your friends will understand if you don’t feel like running around campus at two in the morning just this once.

9. You’ll look refreshed for the upcoming week!

I think everyone can agree that baggy, dark circles under the eyes don’t exactly flatter most faces. Luckily, there’s a pretty easy way to prevent them, and it’s by—you guessed it—sleeping. 

Pressing tea bags under your eyes will only get you so far after all.  

10. It’ll make the upcoming weekend even better.

The Friday after your chill, anti-social weekend is probably going to feel a lot more exciting than what’s typical. Why? Delayed gratification. You’ve now spent two whole weeks charging up to have a good night out. When the time finally comes, you’ll be pumped up and ready to go.

Go have fun, but keep in mind that your mental and physical health need rest, even when staying in is the last thing you want to do.   

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Danielle Jin

U Mass Amherst '20

Dani is a senior at UMass Amherst majoring in English with a double minor in psychology and education. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Dani loves being with her friends, hiking with her dog, marathoning bad horror movies on Netflix, and eating unhealthy amounts of Haagen Dasz green tea ice cream. Right now, she's just trying to figure out her next move post-graduation :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst