HC Guide to Spring Cleaning Your Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The warm weather has hit and is (hopefully) here to stay. With spring comes spring cleaning, but that doesn’t just mean your apartment or dorm. Give away your extra Easter candy (okay, save yourself a few Cadbury eggs, I’m not that mean) and revitalize your diet to create a healthier you this spring.

1. Add more fruit. Many fruits are hitting their peak seasons, so it is the perfect time to start eating more fruit. Strawberries, for example, are in their peak season April through June. 1 cup of strawberries offers 3.5 grams of fiber and gives you 100% of your daily vitamin C needs. Also try sweet cherries, which are only available during the late spring and early summer. 1 cup equals only about 100 calories! For the best flavor, buy fruit that is grown locally since it’s likely to be more fresh and full of nutrients.
  2. Drink more water! You’ve heard the experts recommend 8 glasses of water a day, but who actually fits that in? With the warm weather hitting, now is the perfect time to be more ‘water-conscious.’ Add some fresh fruit like lemons or limes into your glass, and you’ll have a zero calorie, fruity drink that will keep you hydrated. Water is important because it helps with your metabolism, helps detoxify your body, and protects and moisturizes your joints.
  3. Drink tea. If you like more flavor in your drinks, try adding more tea to your diet. According to Men’s Fitness, compounds in tea may fight cancer, heart disease, depression, and fatigue, and they might be good for brain and your waistline (fighting hunger). Try and stay away from adding extra sugar or excess honey.
  4. Add more green veggies. Now is the perfect time to start cooking that asparagus up for your lunch and dinner. The green plant is high in fiber and low in fat, and has iron, vitamin B, and vitamin C. Asparagus hits its peak harvest time late March through June. Peas also are in peak season during the spring, and are also low in fat and high in fiber. They also are a great source of protein, so pick up some peas and asparagus on your next grocery store trip.
  5. Clean out your refrigerator and freezer. Go through and find old food that is passed its expiration date, has freezer burn, or just looks to be in bad shape. Throw away your junk food that you have saved up, and make room for more fresh, healthier options.
  6. Come May 2, make the Farmer’s Market your first shopping destination. The Iowa City Farmer’s Market features local farmers and vendors who sell their home grown, homemade products fresh to you twice a week during the months of May through October. Take advantage of this opportunity and buy local, fresh, fruit and vegetables.

Have any spring diet tips? Share them in the comments below!

Sources:

Easy Ways to Spring Clean Your Diet 

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.