Abby Stollar: Graduating Senior, PRSSA-UD President, Delaware Legislative Fellow, Recipient of Two Communication Awards, Speaker at Graduation, and Superstar at Getting Involved!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

It’s incredible to be able to find someone you can call a role model, not only in terms of academics, but as it relates to attitude, involvement in clubs and organizations, and all around personality. With that said, I’m extremely excited to introduce to you this week’s campus celebrity: Abby Stollar.

With a sky-high GPA, an invitation to speak at graduation, two prestigious awards in communication, and officer positions in multiple organizations, it’s safe to say that Abby has a lot going for her and certainly has a bright future ahead of her (to boot, she’s engaged!). All of her success has been made possible as a direct result of her dedication and passion for not only the University of Delaware, but for her interests.  This article merely serves to scratch the surface in highlighting some of Abby’s proudest accomplishments.

Some of those accomplishments that stand out most for Abby when looking back at her successful college career include:

1)  Being Named a Delaware Legislative Fellow: The Delaware Legislative Fellows Program is a joint program between the University of Delaware and the State of Delaware and essentially about 12 graduate and upper classman undergraduates are chosen to serve as part-time staff for the length of the legislative session. They’re in session from January through June 30 (Every Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday) and travel to Dover and, as Abby explains it, are “pretty much at the service of the legislators”.

“Delaware is one of the only states that actually run such a program,” she says, “and that allows students to get a better look at the legislative process.”

2)  Being Really Involved in PRSSA-UD and Serving as PRSSA-UD’s President:  Abby joined PRSSA-UD as a freshman, and was elected to the executive board her sophomore year. Ultimately, Abby was president of the organization during her Junior and Senior year.

“I’m most proud of that,” she says, “because it was a great opportunity, but more importantly because we did a complete 180 of the organization. We had 10 people at the last meeting of the year when I was a sophomore, and then we saw a complete turnaround when I was president. My goal was to have people learn and see value in PRSSA, and I think that was most important in terms of seeing such a drastic increase in membership and getting people excited about coming to our meetings and events”.

3) Involvement in UD’s Student Government Association: Abby was appointed as a senator during her freshman and sophomore year, and then junior year she was director of public relations. Abby says she “really got to learn about the university” through her involvement in SGA.

As a senior looking back, Abby says that getting involved was a major contributor to her success.
“I think it [the factor that contributed most to her success] was honestly doing a little bit of everything. I’ve always just been busy, but as a communication major you always have to do more than just go to class”.  

Also, she says, exposure to multiple facets of campus life helped her to be successful.

“I participated in the UD Summer Scholars Program, where I did everything from undergraduate research to internships. I was also involved in on campus activities and even worked as a tour guide through the admissions department for the last four years. So, both paid and unpaid experience exposed me to so many different things.”

Abby’s love for the University of Delaware also allowed her to take advantage of so many of the opportunities available here. “I also LOVE UD! She gushes, “And have had wonderful opportunities here.  That affinity for UD has definitely shone through in Abby’s accomplishments.

In terms of advice Abby has for current and prospective UD students, she says: “I think that the most important thing is to just realize that you have complete control over who you are. I think it’s best to get involved to as many things as possible, but really commit yourself to 2 or 3 things that you are really passionate about. The commitment factor is just much different in college than it is in high school. Know what you’re passionate about and commit yourself to that and it will serve you well.”

When asked if there is anything she would have done differently, Abby says:

“I think that the top thing is to realize that you’re only in college once—there’s always time for homework, even when it comes to just seeing a speaker on campus or attending an event, we have so many cool opportunities and events here and I would say definitely go to them.”

In terms of internships, Abby says:

“My one thing with internships is: Be open-minded; When it comes to internships, try as many things as you can and get exposure to as many things as possible because that will help you in the long run. It will show you what you don’t want to do.”

If there is one motto Abby could live by, she says: “I think that one of my favorite quotes is: ‘Wherever you go, always bring your own sunshine’. I love that because it puts the burden on you. It doesn’t let other people or situations dictate who you are. It’s so important to always be the best in every situation.”

As mentioned earlier, Abby was also asked to speak at graduation, which is a huge honor.

“I was really excited to be asked to speak at our communication graduation (for communication majors), and was asked to speak because I was the first communication student to ever be nominated for 2 of the awards that they give out at graduation”. Those awards are:

1)     Ray E. Keesey Award
An award in memory of Hal Kierce to an outstanding senior communication/public relations student who exhibits the commitment to professional excellence which was characterized by Mr. Kierce.

2)     Eugene F. and Catherine Melk Award in Communication
An award to a senior communication major who has the highest grade point average as determined by the communication department faculty.

The theme of Abby’s speech for graduation is basically about learning to stay passionate and about relationships. “No matter what aspect of communication you’re involved in,” Abby says, “relationships are the most important part of that, and staying passionate about what you do.”

Abby certainly has so much to be proud of and even more to look forward to. She is someone I can confidently say that I look up to. I wish Abby the best of luck in graduation, her career, and all of her future endeavors. I know she will be extremely successful! 

Sara studies at the University of Delaware (go blue hens!), and absolutely loves it. She is currently studying communications and english with a professional writing concentration. and is fostering a developing interest in public relations after having been introduced to the field through the Public Relations Student Society of America at UD. That has inspired her to concentrate in public relations in the future, though she is a firm believer in getting a well-rounded education and taking a bunch of classes in various subjects. Wherever her education takes her, Sara has always had a passion for writing and will continue her writing in any way possible throughout the remainder of her college years and beyond! Born in New York City, she appreciates and is preparing for the fast paced lifestyle of a city girl, but enjoys the more relaxed nature of her hometown on the Jersey Shore (though she is not affiliated in any way with the cast of MTV’s Jersey Shore). Only minutes from the beach, Sara tries not to take the beautiful atmosphere for granted. Similarly, she tries not to take anything else in her life for granted, and in this sense, prides herself on her strong work ethic. She believes that when life gets tough, it’s only because something great is on the horizon. She adores music, her family and friends, movies, writing, magazines, and travel. Sara cannot wait to see what else college has in store for her, and is ready to take more risks and live with no regrets. She is beyond thrilled to be part of the Her Campus team, and looks forward to writing and editing content that focuses on an audience of college women dedicated to achieving their aspirations.