Meet Heather DesRoches, Founder of UConn’s Paws and Claws

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Meet Heather DesRoches, founder and president of UConn’s Paws and Claws Club!

Name: Heather DesRoches

Year: Senior

Q: What is the mission of the Paws and Claws Club and what do you hope to gain from active participation of club members?

HD: The mission is to promote the welfare of animals in every way possible.  [Members] will be willing to volunteer in ways both on campus and off campus. We’re trying to make it easier for members no matter where they are and ultimately make a difference for the animals.

Q: What made you decide to create this club?

HD: Personally, I had been [a] Pre-Vet [major] for my first few years then switched to human medicine, but I was determined to continue to help animals.

Q: What types of activities does this club take part in?

HD: We are going to be volunteering at transports. We started working with Big Fluffy Dog Rescue (BFDR), they’re a national non-profit in Nashville, Tennessee, and twice a month they have truckloads of dogs that they bring and they need people to walk them around until the foster families arrive.

We do different adoption meet and greet events, as well. We’ll be having a Canine 5K at UConn where all of the registration proceeds will go to the shelters that we’re helping and people can run with their dogs. This is on March 25th on Fairfield Way. There’s also administrative tasks that can be done from campus, advertising campaigns, and preparing special food for emaciated dogs.

Q: Why should students get involved in this club?

HD: It’s a really great way to actually make a difference for animals that can’t fend for themselves. Any amount of time that you can donate, there’s so many easy ways to get involved and help. [The animals] will appreciate it.

Q: How has this club benefitted you so far?

HD: It’s just been really rewarding to see how much interest there has been at UConn. We’ve already helped down in Tennessee and have received attention on the Facebook page from ‘parents’ of dogs that we’ve helped.

Q: What are some of the organizations that you help?

HD: Big Fluffy Dog Rescue in Nashville, Tennessee, Our Companions in Manchester, Connecticut, and Pack Leaders Dog Rescue of Connecticut, also in Manchester, Connecticut.

For more information and how to get involved with UConn Paws and Claws, visit https://uconntact.uconn.edu/organization/uconnpawsandclaws.

Images Courtesy of Heather DesRoches.

Chelsea is a senior undergraduate at the University of Connecticut. She is pursuing a degree in Digital Media & Design with a concentration in business strategies, as well as a minor in Communications. She holds one of the Marketing & Design chairs for her school's chapter of Her Campus.