Lily Zappulla: Helping HC UConn empower collegiettes on campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is our very own member and member of the events team, Lily Zappulla!

E: Tell us a little about yourself Lily—What year are you, what are some of your interests, and what made you decide to join Her Campus?

L: I am a Sophomore at UConn and just transferred here from Suffolk (a small school in Boston). I’m majoring in Communication with an interest in Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies and Marketing. I honestly first joined HC on a whim last year–my girlfriend told me the meetings were cool and to check it out with her so I did and I just completely fell in love with it. I have always loved reading, writing, and staying up-to-date on current events so HC was just the perfect fit for me and the longer and more involved I become the more I absolutely love it! I guess aside from HC my hobbies are honestly just spending time with my family and friends and working because I love my job!

(Lily and Co-Event Board member Sam Mackowitz at HC’s “Why I’m Awesome” event)

E: So, in addition to joining Her Campus, what made you decide to go the extra mile and apply to be a member of the Event Board?

L: I loved HC so much that I wanted to become a leader and give back to the club that has made college so enjoyable for me thus far. Also I am really into helping others and am hoping to use my leadership position here to become an activist and become a positive role model for girls both in and outside of the club.

E: That’s awesome. Is that what sparked your idea for the Empowerment Event? For the readers who may not have seen the event or recap, can you give us a little info about why you wanted to do it and what it involved?

L: It is! The “Why I’m Awesome” Empowerment Event was a really simple and easy way to make all people feel confident and to remind them to love themselves even during the peak of the semester. We set up a table in the Student Union and had people write reasons why they are awesome on post-it notes and stick it to a wall. By the end, I was so happily surprised by how many notes we had! To me, nothing feels better than helping others and making someone smile, so I thought this was a really easy way to make someone’s day and promote confidence to those who are more shy. When the semester gets into full swing, its easy to be super stressed and down on yourself so I thought it was important to remind everyone to put things into perspective and remember why they are awesome. (Lily actually wrote an insightful article on ways to feel better when you’re stressed; check it out here!)

Lily at her very own event, demonstrating how it’s done!

E: Very true! And speaking of the semester, what do you, the Event Board, and the rest of HC have planned to accomplish within the last few weeks of classes?

L: Aside from the multiple articles we publish every day, we are having a spa-night/potluck with all of the girls to bond and are organizing a food drive, so we definitely have our hands full!