7 Common Fears about Living in your First Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Switching from dorm living to apartment living can be an intimidating idea.  Of course it’s going to be an amazing new adventure with lots of new memories to make, but there are some factors that can be a bit daunting.  Whether it be an on or off-campus apartment, it does require a bit more responsibility than dorm living does.  Below is a list of common fears people may have after making the switch and moving into their first apartment.

The Fear:  Transportation

The Solution:  Getting to and from campus, especially when living in an off-campus apartment can be a major adjustment.  If you’re fortunate enough to have a car, that makes things a bit easier.  However, parking passes can cost a pretty penny and depending on the size of your campus, getting to class from the parking lot might still be a hike.   If you don’t have a car, be sure to figure out the bus system as it can really come in handy.  Walking is always an option so be sure to invest in some good sneakers and sturdy boots if you’ll be trekking through the snow during the winter months.

The Fear:  Food

The Solution:  It’s a pretty safe bet to say that this may be the biggest concern when starting your apartment life.  Dorms were easy.  Meal plans, at most colleges, are required when living in a residential hall so it’s easy to walk into a dining hall and have a meal.  Now, grocery shopping is a necessary evil.  It’s hard to navigate the aisles of Price Chopper with tempting items at every turn, sale signs advertising “BUY 2 GET 1 FREE” even if you don’t actually need three, and people battling it out in the deli line.  Don’t stress too much, you’ll get used to it in time.  Make a list of things you need before you go so you don’t get overwhelmed or distracted.  Also, while junk food may be cheaper, try to steer clear of too many unhealthy options.  If you’re looking to save money purchase store brand over name brand.  If you don’t have a car to get to the store try taking a bus and bringing a backpack or reusable bags to pack your food in as plastic bags can be flimsy and break.  Another option is to ask a friend with a car if they’d mind carpooling to the grocery store in exchange for a little gas money.  Try to go when you know they’re already going, that way they’ll be more inclined to let you tag along.  Little tips and tricks like these will help guide you to grocery store success.  Also, if your budget allows for it, there’s always take out when you’re in a bind and can’t get to the store.

The Fear: Cooking

The Solution:  Buying food is one thing, cooking it is another. A lot of people go into college knowing how to make the basics.  But let’s be honest with ourselves, sandwiches and mac and cheese can only take us so far.  The amount of recipes you can find on the internet is overwhelming.  Try to find easy recipes that only need a few ingredients if you’re a beginner.  There are websites solely dedicated to easy, cheap, college recipes.  Google “easy recipes for college” and it’s like the internet is begging you to click all of the links.  Invest in a couple pots and pans, even a casserole dish (good for easy dishes and leftovers), and some cooking utensils and you’ll be on your way to cooking like a pro.  

The Fear: Cleaning

The Solution:  Housework.  Some people love it and others absolutely detest it.  Regardless of if you’re a neat freak or a disorganized mess, there are some things that you’ll find out that you need to know.  How to clean the shower/tub, how to clean the oven, what to do when a toilet gets clogged or overflows, the list goes on and on.  Stock up on all the necessary cleaning supplies because you never know when you’re going to need them.  I’d hate to have a clogged toilet and no plunger.  If you’re not sure what to get, call your parents and ask them.  If you ever get stuck between Clorox and Comet, Google is also always available to answer your cleaning questions.  If you don’t have a washer and dryer in your apartment make sure you always have quarters on hand and know the way to the nearest laundromat.

The Fear: Money/Budget

The Solution:  It’s a worry for everyone, especially college students who are paying a small fortune for tuition.  There’s no easy answer, however there are things you can do to keep yourself afloat.  You can always apply for jobs around campus.  Mailroom jobs, tutoring, note taking, anything that pays.  If your work load is over the top and a job just isn’t for you, try things like online surveys or become a Secret Shopper.  If you have a steady flow of money coming in but you’re on a budget, make sure to write out exactly what you need each week and set that money aside for when you go to get it.  Keep tight to your budget.  While that cute top you saw at the mall the other day may seem like a good idea now, it may not seem that way when you go to buy textbooks or get gas.    

The Fear:  Roommate(s)

The Solution:  Depending on the apartment you could have anywhere between one and three roommates.  Living with other people always has its ups and downs, even if you know the roomies or you’ve never met them before move in day.  It’s not always the easiest thing to share your belongings, even with people you absolutely love.  We all have boundaries that we’d like to be respected and living with others can test our patience with that.  Honestly, there comes a time where you just have to let it go.  You have to learn to let the little things go if you want to make it through the year in one piece.  Just remember while you don’t have to adore your roommates, at least try and have mutual respect for one another.  Take a deep breath and keep things calm if you ever feel yourself start to boil over.  Even if you live with your best friend make sure that you both know one another’s pet peeves so you can try to avoid them.           

The Fear:  Friends

The Solution:  If you have a large friend group before moving into your first apartment you might be worried about seeing them depending on how far you live from each other.  Trust me, if they’re your friends they’ll make time to see you and vice versa.  Don’t stress too much about that.  If you don’t have a huge group of friends and you’re worried about trying to branch out, definitely make it a point to talk to people.  Living in an apartment can be much more isolating than a dorm.  In dorms you saw hundreds of people a day walking in and out of your building, at your dining hall, in the bathroom, on your floor, and in the study lounge.  Apartments can be less of a socially inclined atmosphere.  Try and get to know your neighbors!  Knock on their door one day and introduce yourself.  If you ever get locked out (it happens to everyone, don’t pretend you’ve never done it), ask a neighbor if you can use their phone to call for a key and then strike up a conversation.  For friends outside of your building, try chatting with people in your class before it starts, join a club or several, or join a study group.  Even just smiling at people makes them more inclined to want to get to know you.  There are lots of ways to make sure you aren’t spending this year all by yourself.  Just get out there and be you. 

There are many things that are scary about moving into an apartment but if you go in with a good attitude and the right mindset you can do it.  Change is inevitable so it’s best to embrace it with all you’ve got.  Good luck collegiettes! 

Nikki is the Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief for Her Campus UConn.  She is a senior majoring in Communication with a minor in HDFS.  Nikki wishes she was Beyoncé, worships Adele, eats more pasta than is probably recommended, and is a Ravenclaw at heart.   If you have any questions or concerns regarding Her Campus UConn, you can email her at nicoleharris@hercampus.com.