5 Healthy (and Quick) Products to Use Daily

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Chicago chapter.

I studied abroad in Paris this past winter, and despite the marvelous weather and amazing sights, I found that oftentimes, while I wanted to explore eveything, my body lagged behind. Maybe a chocolate croissant for breakfast and nutella crepe for dinner weren’t my brightest ideas (although definitely worth it). So upon my return to Chicago I searched for a few (quick) things I could incorporate in my daily routine to become just a little bit healthier.

1. Detox Waters

Before any assumptions are made, let me just clarify, this is not juicing. I tried juicing once and it only made me realize how big of a fan I am of ingesting solid food. Although there are a variety of detox waters out there, the detox water I swear by is a full lemon and half a grapefruit in a 28 ounce bottle of water. Lemon is said to help maintain pH levels in the body while also being an excellent source of vitamin C, a nutrient said to strengthen the immune system, which after a sleepless night of studying can really come in handy. The grapefruit is high in antioxidants and is said to help flush the liver of toxins (Saturday and Sunday morning anyone?).

2. Coconut Oil

One of my roommates swears by coconut oil for everything so upon my return to Chicago, I was very quickly introduced to it and its multitude of uses. I typically use it as moisturizer and makeup remover. Several studies have shown that coconut oil can improve the moisture and lipid content of skin so especially after shaving, I am quick to apply some to my legs. Furthermore, as someone with a very sensitive face, it comes in particularly handy as makeup remover.

3. Coffee

We all probably do this every day anyway, so this may be only a way of making you feel better about your morning cup of joe, but coffee may not be as unhealthy as some people make it out to be. Although many studies that claim coffee to be healthy may be sponsored by coffee producers/distributors, it is important to note that coffee still contains massive amounts of antioxidants as well as vitamins B2, B5 and B3. Certain studies have also shown that consuming coffee may lower risk of liver cancer up to 40% and lower the risk of becoming depressed by up to 20%. That being said, before you reach for that 10th cup of coffee remember that it is healthy, in moderation.

4. Bananas

I am the type of person for whom waking up before 10 is a nightmare. Making breakfast is therefore typically out of the question. In my attempt to be healthier I searched for something not processed that I could grab on the go and would keep me full at least through my first class. Bananas proved to be just that and more. They are high in vitamin C and B-6, manganese, fiber, and potassium, helping improve digestion, mood, and muscle cramps amongst many other things. So before you consider skipping breakfast for the third time this week, think about reaching for a banana instead.

5. Honey

Honey, in my opinion, is very underrated. I visited the Student Health Services last winter with an awful sore throat, and the doctor there recommended hot tea sweetened with honey. It may have been one of the, albeit few, things they were right about because my sore throat may have just disappeared. Honey has antimicrobial properties that help soothe a raspy throat while sweetening tea in a natural way. In the spring especially, honey may help alleviate allergies due to its anti-inflammatory effects. So why not sweeten everything with honey?

Andy Dutu

U Chicago

I am currently a junior at the University of Chicago with a love for all things Paris and Pi Beta Phi.