This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Lutheran chapter.

Everything has looked different this year. Since the mandatory lockdown that happened in March due to the outbreak of Covid-19, every month seems surreal. I do not know about the rest of you, but mentally, I am still stuck in March! It is hard to believe that we are already in October and 2020 is almost over. Even though Halloween is just around the corner, it still hardly feels like Halloween is actually here. If you feel this way too, know that it is totally okay and you are not alone! If you need help staying present this season, I have done a few fun activities that have helped me get into the spooky spirit! 

1. Watch Halloween Movies From Your Childhood

This week, I watched two Halloween movies that were a HUGE part of my childhood, Twitches and Return to Halloweentown! It felt really nostalgic watching these movies. I was able to pinpoint certain scenes that made me exceptionally happy when I was younger, and my inner child really came out! I strongly recommend watching some of your favorite Halloween movies you enjoyed as a child. There is nothing like reliving the old times!

a girl in a chair saying halloween is cool
The Walt Disney Company / Giphy
2. Attend a Halloween Event on Zoom

I had the opportunity of attending a Halloween baking party over zoom with a bunch of my friends! We made chocolate covered strawberries with Halloween decorations! It felt so good to spend quality time with one another. We caught up on our lives, talked about our favorite Halloween movies and talked about our week! 

halloween cookies
Photo by Olia Danilevich from Pexels
 3. Decorating Your Room or Dorm for Fall

I recently decorated my room for fall! This adds a cozy atmosphere and helps me enjoy this season. I bought two small pumpkins from Trader Joe’s, added a decorative pillow, ghost stuffed animal, and a fall blanket! Every day feels like fall in my room. I also light my favorite fall candles in my room to add a calming touch. 

Photo by Sarah Boudreau on Unsplash

I hope these small tips bring some joy to your life this spooky season. If it is hard for you to stay present right now, know that everything will be okay. Focus on the small things throughout your day that bring you joy in the midst of all the craziness. I am rooting for you!

Elysia Williams

Cal Lutheran '22

HI! My name is Elysia but you can call me Sia for short. I am a leader of Delight Ministries at Cal Lutheran and a writer for Her Campus. In my free time, I am usually with my friends or family making memories.
Follow us at HCCallutheran on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook!