This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

With its studios quickly sprouting across the nation, barre has gone viral. The fitness trend combines cardio, ballet, and strength training to tone bodies and form lean muscle – in a fun and enjoyable environment. As a devoted groupie to the barre phenomenon, I have found many reasons why barre may simply be better than an hour at the gym:

1. Made for All Ages – Every class has women (and men) from their teens through their 70s. Due to its focus on small muscle movements, barre is a healthy and fun activity you can do with your friends, mom, and even grandma.

2. Posture- With its focus on increasing core strength, barre classes inevitably lead to better posture. As we sit hunched over our computers, desks, and phones all day, every day, this extra gimmick can only help us in the long run.

3. Total Body Workout – In just one hour, movements target everything from legs and glutes to arms, abs, and shoulders – and yes, you feel all that the next day!

4. Strength – barre builds muscle and body strength to tone your body in a healthy, and slimming manner. Simply put, you get the results of the weight room without ever having to step foot in that terrifying territory.

5. Flexibility – After working each muscle, barre focuses on stretching out the targeted area. This helps to improve flexibility, and is especially helpful for those of us who are not natural ballerinas or gymnasts.

6. Simplicity – barre requires no prior skill, talent or training. Literally, anyone can do it.

7. Fun – With music and energy, barre classes are an enjoyable way to get healthy. They make a workout something to look forward to, rather than the dreaded hour at the gym. 

Her Campus Tulane