This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Praveena Fernes travels all the way from Fremont, California to attend Tulane.  She’s the perfect role model as she her life in balance with school, work, activities, and friends.  She’s the best RA Tulane has seen yet, enjoys running, and values family as her grandmother inspires her.  Without further ado, get to meet Praveena!

Full name: Praveena FernesYear at Tulane: SophomoreHometown: Fremont, CA

Campus Involvement: Vice President of SAPHE, RA for Civic Engagement Floor of Greenbaum, Community Service Scholar, Student Leader for Community Engagement Advocates at CPS,  NCI Intern, Board Member for SVPEC, Project Raintree Director.  Off campus she works on the advisory board for voice of witness, based out of San Francisco.Favorite artist: Bon Iver, Billy Joel, Tori Kelly  Best piece of advice for fellow Tulanians: Take advantage of the resources Tulane has to offer and get involved.  That being said, don’t fall for the “Tulane curse” of being over-involved and triple majoring/double minoring just for names sake. Be present, be balanced, and do what you love~In your opinion, what is Nola’s hidden gem: The sculpture garden in City Park, next to NOMA. 

Dream jobs:  I’d love to manage a holistic health center and clinic to provide coordinated care to those who usually lack access.  We would also provide free classes for community members about topics ranging from nutrition to healthy relationships.  We would also have a youth council that worked on campaigns explaining health issues to young people, and the clinic side would offer low cost health services and testing.  I am also fascinated in studying the brains and behaviors of domestic violence victims and their counterpart abusers.  I would bring my public health research and experience to a university setting and teach as a professor.

What motivates you in the morning: I go for a run around Audubon at 6:30 am every morning.  It’s good to start my day with my heart racing and a little sweat. I also get to practice mindfulness while enjoying the beautiful park at sunrise. 

Who inspires you:  Both of my wonderful, independent grandmothers because of their worldly experiences, knowledge, and admirably strong attitudes.

What would you say to everyone at Tulane: Get off campus and enjoy this wonderful city we are privelaged to call home.

Neuroscience, Philosophy, and Psychology triple major. Amy Poehler is my spirit animal.
Her Campus Tulane