This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Ever feel like the H&M crop tops you buy don’t last for more than a month? Always struggling to shop for a last-minute formal dress? Never have the perfect confidence-boosting outfit for interviews? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it’s time to build your own capsule wardrobe!

“Wait…a capsule what?”

Capsule Wardrobe (n.)

A collection of essential pieces that never go out of fashion. It is designed to maximize the outfits suitable for different occasions without owning excessive clothing items. The collection usually contains around twenty to thirty staple pieces.

To build a capsule wardrobe, first make a list of items you think you’ll need. For example:

·       2 tank tops

·       2 t-shirts

·       2 sweaters

·       1 button down shirt

·       2 pairs of jeans

·       1 pair of dress pants

·       2 pairs of leggings

·       2 skirts

·       2 dresses

·       1 jacket

·       1 coat

·       1 blazer

·       4 pairs of shoes

·       1 pair of sunglasses

·       1 scarf

·       2 necklaces

·       1 bracelet

·       2 pairs of earrings

·       1 handbag

Next, reorganize your wardrobe according to the list. Select only the essentials that fit into your capsule wardrobe and get rid of the Forever 21 tank top at the back of your closet that you know you’ll never wear again. Splurge on some high quality staple pieces that you will wear for years to come, like a sophisticated trench coat or an interview-appropriate purse.

A well-designed capsule wardrobe can provide hundreds of outfits suitable for all occasions. A smart collegiette should have a concrete capsule wardrobe to help her save money and conquer the world. Happy mix-matching!

Picture Source: https://365till30.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/the-sartorialist2.jpg

For more fashion advice (ie. what to wear in the workplace), visit: http://www.hercampus.com/school/tufts/internship-outfit-inspiration-busi…