The Pros and Cons of Living at Home During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

After living on campus for two years in a dorm I decided to commute from home this year since I live 10 minutes from campus. I have found there are a few pros and cons to consider and hope this can help anyone who is trying to make the tough decision about where you will live next year!

Pros

• Support– The bonus of living at home is that there is always a full use kitchen and a stocked fridge. My mom is able to make home-cooked meals which you can’t get in a dorm and chowing down on microwaved prepared foods got old very quickly. Also, my mom time she helps me out with my laundry if she knows I am really busy with schoolwork, which is a major plus.
  •  Money—This is probably the biggest factor to consider when you think about living at home during college. It is true that you save a lot of money when you live at home. I can spend the extra cash on meals and don’t forget the dreaded textbooks. When you live off campus, it can be very expensive to pay for rent and utilities plus buying groceries and sometimes you have to furnish apartments yourself.
  • Less Distractions– When I lived in the dorm, I always wanted to hangout with my friends and watch TV or go out on nights when I should be studying for a test. Being at home allows me to focus on my schoolwork — plus I don’t have roommate struggles that consume my time. I can set up my own space and not have to worry about sharing it with another person. 

Cons

•  Social Life—It can be hard to stay connected to friends especially when you have to live under your parent’s roof with their rules. Fortunately, my parents trust that I will maintain a balance between going out with friends and getting my work done, so I am free to do what I want. If your parents are more strict this might be something to consider. 
  • Getting involved on campus—If you commute from home, it is harder to get involved because you do not spend all of your time on campus. You have to make more an effort to join clubs/sports to meet more people. I love Her Campus because I am able to stay involved with Towson and meet people too! 
  • Money—A commute can mean not only extra time but gas money and a Towson parking pass is an expense to consider. Not to mention that with all of Towson’s parking rules, parking tickets can add up if you park in the wrong spot. I also do not have a meal plan and Towson dining can become expensive on Towson’s campus without it!