Wellness > Mental Health

Mental Health Resources on Towson University’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

On college campuses many students are battling issues regarding their mental health without the knowledge of the services that are available to them on campus.

Towson University offers Individual counseling and psychiatric services for students through the Counseling Center. For students, it is important to know that the counseling and psychiatric services offered are completely confidential. The Counseling Center focuses on providing a safe environment to seek help and express your feelings as well as thoughts with a counselor who specializes in dealing with sensitive issues.

Instances where a student might consider seeking counseling

As college students, it is important to pay attention to our mental health in order to keep ourselves healthy throughout the semester. You might consider seeking counseling if there are:

·         Notable changes in mood or behavior

·         Anxiety and depression

·         Threats or passing idle thoughts of suicide 

·         Traumatic or fundamental changes in personal relationships

·         Psychosomatic symptoms (e.g. loss of appetite, excessive sleeping)

The Counseling Center offers a mental health screening questionnaire for students to determine if they should make an appointment with a counselor. It is online, it is free, it is anonymous, and most importantly it is confidential.

How to make an appointment

Students can call the Counseling Center at 410-704-2512, Monday through Thursday between 8am and 5pm. The Counseling Center is located on the second floor of the Health and Counseling Centers at Ward and West on Towson University’s campus.

What to expect from your first visit

During your first counseling appointment, your immediate problems will be addressed. A counselor will then be able to determine other sources of help that are available to you and that will be most effective. Lastly, a counselor can assist you in a referral process (if needed) to make sure your transition to off campus services, such as finding another counseling center or getting a therapist , goes as smoothly as possible.

Please remember that you are not alone and that you will not be judged for doing what is best to improve your mental health. All counseling services are confidential and a safe space. Do not be afraid to seek help!

Hi, I'm Talore. Currently, I am junior at Towson University. I am a  English major with a minor in Business, Communications, and the Liberal Arts. Some of my hobbies include traveling, listening to music, going to concerts, reading, and binge watching some show on Netflix. I enjoy drinking coffee (honestly, I am an addict!) and I am obsessed with dogs. Along with Her Campus, I am the Head of Recruitment Operations for my sorority Delta Phi Epsilon. This is my second year on the Her Campus team and I love being part of this organization!  Instagram: @itstalore
Her Campus

Towson '25