How to survive winter in your off-campus apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Let’s face it, the days are getting longer and colder, and in the words of Ned Stark, winter is coming. Before we know it, the grounds are going to be piled high with snow and bitter, freezing winds will blow our way. Therefore, we expect our off-campus abode to be a place of warmth and coziness when we return to it at the end of the day. HCTU has compiled a list of tips that will help you get your apartment cold-weather ready without incurring those energy bills!

1. Fuzzy blankets

Make sure you are stocked up on warm bedding and blankets. Replace your old sheets with thick flannel sheets, down comforters and wool blankets. Also, when cold weather is on the rise, you’ll want to be warm everywhere. Throw some fuzzy, colorful blankets on the couch or in the dining room. Adding throw pillows around the house can also add to the warmth. 

2. Put on a sweater… or three!

My Indian grandmother always said “Americans need to wear more clothes in the winter.” There’s definitely truth in that statement. Gone are the days when we can afford to lounge around in our underwear and t-shirts. Bundle up in layers and scarfs, throw on sweatshirts and sweatpants, and invest in fuzzy socks and slippers. 

3. Warm sustenance

When you think of winter, one of the first things that will come to mind is some type of warm beverage. Sipping on a hot beverage, whether it may be tea, coffee, or hot chocolate, will have have you feeling infinitely warmer (and happier) while the cold bites away at your skin. 

4. Get your bake on

As if you needed another excuse for baking! Winter is a great time to crack open your ol’ recipe book and begin baking bread, cookies, and cake. When you’re done, leave the door open to recycle some of that heat. You’ll have delicious treats and a toasty apartment to enjoy them in. 

5. Get moving

Exercise gets the blood moving and will warm up your body ten folds. Just a couple of squats, sit ups, and jumping jacks will have you feeling warm in no time. Exercise will also help you battle the winter bulge. 

6. Trippy tapestries

In medieval times, people would throw up thick blankets and tapestries on exterior walls to help keep the cold out and the heat in. Cover all the white walls in your apartment with beautiful castle-style tapestries to add some warmth and fun! 

7. Light candles

No fireplace? No problem. Even a small candle gives off some heat and can keep your immediate area warm. Light candles all around the house in lieu of lamps and overhead lights to keep the energy costs down. Just be careful and don’t leave them lit overnight. 

8. Cuddle up

Chilly nights are a great excuse to cuddle with bae. Roommates and pets work, too. 

Dhara Patel studies Mass Communications at Towson University. She would be sorted into Slytherin house, puts hot sauce on everything, and thinks bagels are bae.
Her Campus

Towson '25