Casper Wells: From Towson Tiger to Major League Hottie for the Detroit Tigers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Casper Wells, up-and-coming Major League Baseball player for the Detroit Tigers, talked to Her Campus Towson about confidence, baseball, dating, music, Towson and everything in between! The 26-year-old former Towson Tiger reveals much more than meets the (dreamy) eyes.

Casper Wells is prompt. Having agreed to an interview after accepting an award for his achievement on becoming the third Towson Tiger to ever become a Major League Baseball player, Wells called me within ten minutes of sending an email to set up our phone interview. This immediate response is probably due to the “Discipline, confidence and consistent approach,” Wells said propelled him from the minor leagues to the major leagues.

After our lengthly phone conversation, Wells revealed a lot more than just his baseball stats. From Towson stories, to the struggles of dating, and everything else, Wells will not only surprise you with his good looks, but with his confidence as well!

(From Left to Right) Campus Correspondent Alexandra Pannoni, Casper Wells, Her Campus Towson Staff Member Chelsea Miller

HC Towson: Was playing baseball professionally your ‘Big Dream’ growing up?
CW: I’ve wanted to play ball professionally ever since I can remember. I picked up a baseball bat when I was 3 and never let go. Baseball has always been my passion and playing professionally has always been my goal.

HC Towson: How is the competition different at the college and professional levels?
CW: In college, the competition is mainly with the other teams. On the professional level, you have the best players, so the competition is more with yourself. It’s a mental game and struggle. I’ve always been confident, but it is a different kind of confidence. You have to be extremely disciplined and have a consistent approach.

HC Towson: What was your favorite memory of your time at Towson?
CW: I think just junior year as a whole. The [baseball] team had a great chemistry. There was a lot of camaraderie and friendship. Hanging out in the clubhouse together. It was just a good time. We had a great season, we were the conference championship winners.

HC Towson: You were involved in a lot. How did you manage school work, a social life, and a budding baseball career during college?
CW: The professor’s were all very understanding, especially when we went on the road. [As a film major] I got a laptop so I could do all my film editing while we were on the road. On my days off I would just spend around two days and cram all my projects in. I honestly probably could have managed it better, it was a struggle. In the fall it was much easier. I still practiced, but I had a lot more free time [since it was off-season]. I took my major classes very seriously and I hardly ever went out during the spring semester.

HC Towson: What do you miss most about Towson?
CW: Probably all the diversity. You had all types of people from Jersey and Maryland. It was a lot of fun going out. I’m partial to the baseball team, so obviously I miss that and mainly my friendship with the guys. Tigerfest was always a really fun time. We always had a game, but it took place in the field next to the Baseball field so you could hear the music. We also always had a lot of support from the fans. This one group of fans would sit on the hill next to the field and just blow whistles and cheer us on. They had a slip-n-slide they used to go down and just made it a lot of fun.

HC Towson: What advice to you have for Towson students?
CW: Don’t sell yourself short. Don’t ever change your dreams because you think it is something your not allowed to be. You know, I think we all have a real ‘dream’ when we are little kids, like around 6-years-old. I wanted to be a baseball player. Don’t ever forget those dreams because that is what we really want to be. I think about the times I have struggled, don’t forget them. It has made me very humble. People say to me, “What’s it like to be playing in the Major Leagues, can you believe it? I honestly can’t believe it either.” I am very humble and feel very blessed. You should chase your dreams and go after what you want, don’t give up.

HC Towson: What type of music do you listen to?
CW:I wouldn’t survive without music. All types, rap for working out and getting locked in before games. I like Drake, Eminem, Kayne West and hip-hop before going out. For a night on the town  I like dancing music.  I enjoy country, depending on the crowd and the situation, in the summer. It goes good with baseball.  I’ll relax to some John Mayer, MGMT and reggae.

HC Towson: What do you look for in a girl?
CW:I have to have a girl who is definitely interested in baseball, thus my career, and be willing to travel and see me or live in Detroit. I don’t think a relationship would work if I wouldn’t get to see her that often. Not to sound corny, but I’m not too big on looks. I need to have a girl who is smart and smiles a lot.

HC Towson: Is it hard to date as a professional athlete?
CW:It is hard to date when you are an athlete because you are always traveling. You may meet someone in a city on the road during the season and keep in touch, or meet someone in the off season and then have to leave for spring training. Not sure how most of them juggle it, but I haven’t crossed that path yet.

HC Towson: What’s a deal breaker for you in relationships?
CW:When I am in a relationship I am all about my girl. I give her the world, she needs to be as thoughtful towards me as I am with her.

HC Towson: What is your ideal date?
CW:I have a passion for film so I love going to the movies or staying inside and watching a good flick!

HC Towson: Are you single?
CW: Yes, I am single!

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.