The 20/20 Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

I’ll be the first person to admit that the obsession I’d developed with Justin Timberlake in the early 2000s came back with a vengeance when I heard that he’d be coming back from his hiatus from music late last year.

The 20/20 Experience is everything I thought it would be and more. It’s like waking up on Christmas morning to the present at the top of your list – it’s one of the most musically rewarding albums I’ve heard in a long time. Even if you’re not a fan of his, I guarantee that you’ll find at least one song on the album that you won’t be able to get off your mind – and you won’t want to, either.

Timberlake, album art. 2013.

The FutureSex/LoveSound singer released a brand new 10-track album on March 19, following major TV appearances and commercials. Each track has it’s own unique style – just when you think, “Oh, I’ve heard something like this before,” JT twists it wonderfully to make it his own sound.

When I think of the album, I think of James Brown, Prince, and… Justin Timberlake. At 32 years of age, Timberlake has mastered the skill of taking elements from the best of the past and making them appeal to both young and older crowds.

There are mixed reviews circling the album at the moment – most of them good, from what I’ve read – so since I’ll be attending his concert in Baltimore August 8th, I felt I should write my own. Since most reviews I’ve read have been super lengthy (ain’t nobody got time for that!) I’ll try and make them each as brief as possible.

1.    Pusher Love Girl (8:02) – Okay. The amount of times I’ve listened to this song daily should be embarrassing. But, it’s not. It’s so not. I don’t encourage the use of drugs, but JT singing about being high on drugs because of his wife’s love (lucky you, Jessica Biel) is the sweetest thing imaginable. This music behind the vocals really reminds me of music from Prince in the 80s (Thanks, Mom and Dad for musically educating me), and his rapping about narcotics at the end isn’t too bad either (don’t do drugs, kids).

2.    Suit & Tie (5:26) – By now, I think everyone’s heard this song. Suit & Tie is a classic JT song – you get some fantastic falsetto, amazing beat by Timbaland, and perfect harmonies. The best thing about this song is the jazz band (named the Tennessee Kids – they’re all up in this album, and they’re awesome) – it’s very James Brown. The only thing I don’t understand about this song is Jay-Z’s part – why is he even still rapping?

3.    Don’t Hold the Wall (7:10) – JT and Timbaland really don’t want you to hold the wall, ladies. The music in this song is so wonderful if you’re the kind of person who likes to dance while you’re alone. The song is so Bollywood – I love that JT isn’t afraid to bring in musical elements from other cultures.

4.    Strawberry Bubblegum (7:59) – For some reason, I feel like this song is some kind of insider between Biel and Timberlake I don’t think I want to be privy to. The James Earl Jones-sounding voice in the beginning did make me laugh, though. This is probably one of my least favorite songs but mostly because I feel like this song should have stayed between husband and wife. This song definitely isn’t for the kiddies.

5.    Tunnel Vision (6:46) – I don’t think I’ll be the only person who is reminded of “Cry Me a River” when they hear the song. The beat is proof why Timbaland is part of the reason people still find JT appealing – the two of them together produce magic. Where JT could have chosen to auto tune like many modern pop artists, he remains consistent with sweet harmonies and the best falsetto you’ll hear.

6.    Spaceship Coupe (7:17) – You really have to give this song the benefit of the doubt after the choice of title – especially nothing else on the album has to do with outer space. The sweet R&B music behind the soulful singing is the perfect combination to make the almost confusing lyrics (was I the only person completely lost the first listen through?) somewhat clear. This song is so beautiful to listen to – its interestingly calming considering the title.

7.    That Girl (4:47) – I’ll admit that I haven’t listened to this song that much, but it’s still wonderfully sang and well-written. The first time I saw JT perform this song, Marvin Gaye popped into my mind and never left. The harmonies, jazz band, and Timberlake’s vocals instantly bring in the 70s if you wanted a song to bring your parents on the Timberlake ship with.

8.    Let the Groove Get In (7:11) – By far, one of my favorite songs on the album. The song has a tribal feeling to it, starting with an African hand drum. If nothing else, this song will make you want to dance like crazy. The song is about letting music take over you – which isn’t bad for you if you’re having a stressful week. You just have to get comfortable, let go, and let the groove get in. Simple.

9.    Mirrors (8:05) – I mean this in the best way possible: JT could have put only this song on the album and I would have been perfectly content with it. Once again, I envy Ms. Biel after this song – after he found her he realized he was staring at himself, therefore finding his soul mate. Then, he tells her that she’s the love of his life. Several times (I’m not exaggerating).

10. Blue Ocean Floor (7:22) – Once again, it seems like this song is meant for Biel. No matter where she is – how far away, how close, etc., he will always be able to find her and know exactly what she needs from him. The song is so beautiful and serene that it doesn’t matter exactly what he’s singing about

All in all, this article is a win. And for $10.99, it’s not a bad price to pay for you or someone else (it’s the perfect Easter gift) to be entertained for almost an hour and a half. Sure, some of the songs are a bit long, but once you give the album a few listens, you’ll be able to identify at least one aspect of each song that you love.

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.
Her Campus

Towson '25