You Don’t Know Jack (Yet)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

The Bright Light Social Hour is without a doubt one of the fastest rising stars of Austin’s renowned music scene. The band swept six categories at the Austin Music Awards last month, including Best Bass Guitar for Jack O’Brien, a feat that only one other band has ever accomplished in the 29 year history of the awards.

Bassist, vocalist, and chief moustache bearer Jack O’Brien, agreed to sit for an interview, moustache and all. Jack’s iconic upper lip hair features prominently both on their website and on stage. When the band needed money to record their debut album, Jack’s Fu Manchu even took the lead in their most recent fund-raising campaign.

“The idea basically was to put
the moustache in charge,” O’Brien said. In addition to creating promotional videos featuring the fuzzy lip hugger, “for a $5,000 donation, you could shave the moustache,” and keep it, framed and encased in polycarbonate forever. “We ended up making the record and didn’t have to shave my moustache,” O’Brien said. When asked if he thought shaving the moustache could have tarnished the band’s image, Jack responded, “I can grow it pretty quickly. Probably wouldn’t have been a problem.”

Bassist Jack O’Brien didn’t always play the bass. Most families are a mixed blessing, and like any other parent, Jack’s father both helped and hindered his musical career. “My dad took me to see blues shows at Antone’s since I was like 8,” he said. “He had been a rock organist when he was younger.”

Even before Jack knew which instrument made the sound, he had an affinity for the smooth low notes of the bass guitar. So when he joined his elementary school orchestra, he signed up to play the bass. O’Brien recalled, “So of course I go with my dad to Strait Music to rent, and he’s like, ‘You’re not going to rent one of these ridiculous things. It’s expensive as hell, and you’re not going to be able to carry it around. We’ll get you a violin instead.’” Little Jack wasn’t too happy but he played his violin and asked his dad for an electric bass guitar for Christmas the next year. “He instead bought me an electric guitar,” O’Brien said. Jack continued, “He was like, ‘you’re going to get bored just playing the bass.’… So, when I was thirteen I finally got my hands on a real bass.” Jack’s dreams couldn’t be stymied forever, and the rest, as they say, is history. The Bright Light Social Hour formed in Georgetown while Jack O’Brien and guitarist Curtis Roush were both undergrads at Southwestern University. They moved to Austin to pursue masters degrees at UT.

Now that The Bright Light Social Hour has finished its debut tour of the southeast and is about to begin a new tour up the east coast this May, they’ve begun to see some of the perks of recognition. For starters, they have their own PR intern from UT, Melissa Cox, and she has secured Jack a position as celebrity judge at the upcoming Texas Revue talent show on Saturday, the 16th at 7 p.m. at the Bass Concert Hall. Come see Jack in action as he judges the best UT has to offer. “I’m looking forward to the bongo dance group,” Jack said excitedly. “It’s the one with like a million people. That looks really cool.”

You can also buy The Bright Light Social Hour’s newest E.P., New Year’s Live on iTunes for a paltry $4.99.

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.