Who’s That Model? It’s Raquel!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Picture yourself calmly walking through campus and then all of a sudden you see her and you think, “Who’s that girl?!” (in the tune of the New Girl theme song of course). She has one of those faces that stop you dead in your tracks. Not only is she one of the most stunning people I have ever laid eyes on, but Brazilian beauty Raquel Toledo is also one of the sweetest. Luckily, HCTX managed to snag an interview with her before she reaches Victoria’s Secret Angel level of fame.

Name: Raquel Toledo

Year: Junior

Major: Advertising

Her Campus Texas: When did you start modeling and what was your first job?

Raquel Toledo: I first started in September of 2010, right as I started senior year of high school.  I joined a modeling school called Missy’s Modeling down in McAllen.  I ‘graduated’ from it in November and my first official job was during Black Friday that year and I was in a little fashion show at a store called Maxstudio, followed by an hour of mannequin modeling, where I was standing by the window pretending to be a mannequin while modeling some clothes.  It was really fun!

HCTX: How do you balance modeling, school and extracurricular activities?

RT: It can get pretty busy. I usually take 15 hours of classes, and this year I also joined Texas Darlins and was also an officer for another organization (International Affairs Society), so I haven’t had a lot of free time for modeling.  But usually the modeling happens on weekends or the afternoons so it’s pretty easy to manage everything!

HCTX: What has been your favorite job that you’ve had so far?

RT: When I moved to Austin, I went to a casting call to be a CoTA girl, which stands for Circuit of the Americas.  We got to be brand ambassadors for Formula 1, Ferrari Challenge, Lamborghini Challenge, Moto GP and many other races that go on at the track throughout the year.  It was a yearly contract and I did it from November 2012 until October 2013.

HCTX: How do you pick who exactly to model for? (Do they contact you, is there an audition process, etc.)

RT: There are several groups on Facebook for models, photographers and people in the fashion industry where anyone can post about photo shoots, fashion shows or upcoming events where models are needed and I simply submit my modeling resume, along with pictures if I qualify for what they’re looking for.  And from that, they pick who they want and notify you.  There are also casting calls sometimes for shows or events, like Austin Fashion Week.

HCTX: When modeling for clothing companies, do you think about the advertising aspects of it? Do you think being an advertising major has influenced how you model?

RT: I feel like modeling is what made me choose advertising in the first place.  I started college as a science major and went through 3 different majors until I chose advertising. Because of modeling I have done several promotional jobs and I believe I fit in well in the selling and advertising world and with each  job I’ve had, I learned something new, whether it is bettering my talking skills, or discovering new ways to do something.

HCTX: Who are your favorite models or fashion inspirations?

RT: Adriana Lima is my favorite model.  She is also Brazilian and was discovered very young, at age 16 and when I watch her interviews, I can see how humble she is and how she never thought she would get where she is now.  She is a Victoria’s Secret model, which is also my ultimate dream.

HCTX: What jobs have you been involved in in the Austin area?

RT: Like I said earlier, I was a CoTA girl for a year, last year I worked at some showcase events for Austin Fashion Week, as well as many other fashion shows, usually for fundraisers or awareness of some kind.  I have also done some mannequin modeling here and promotional jobs.  I have also had the opportunity to work with a lot of photographers and done some really fun photo shoots. Next week I will be in the Official Austin Fashion Week runways from Wednesday through Saturday! I am beyond excited for this!!

HCTX: Where do you see yourself in 10 years in your career?

RT: When I graduate, I want to move somewhere where modeling is a bigger thing, like LA.  Hopefully I can do some professional modeling and get in an agency and do some print stuff.  10 years is a long way though, and I will probably be getting too old for modeling, but I see myself living in another country, with a family and working who knows where!

HCTX: What are some common misconceptions people have about the modeling industry that aren’t true?

RT: Well, first of all, people think I starve myself to stay skinny, when the truth is that I am usually the one that eats the most and the least healthy food.  It can also get annoying because people think that I think so much of myself, when in reality I am very humble and down to earth.  It is a really fun environment and you meet a lot of great, talented people.  One bad thing though, is that models don’t get so much credit and people don’t understand how hard and frustrating it can be for us.