Texas fundraises for AIDS through fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Texas chapter.

Face AIDS, an organization whose mission is to inspire students to fight Aids in Africa, had their biggest event all year – Condom Couture. Face AIDS works to raise money for community-based organizations in Africa and fights to heighten awareness for AIDS both in our community and abroad. The money they gain allows organizations in Africa to succeed by expanding grassroots innovation. The UT chapter is newly established and tables in the West Mall area, where it collects $5 donations for AIDS. Another way Face AIDS works to raise awareness is through an exciting event called Condom Couture. Participants design outfits made fully of condoms and compete on the runway with their creations.

“I think it is really exciting that Face AIDS is participating in such a fantastic community event,” said Zen Ren, Face AIDS member and Plan II and business freshman. “This event always brings together the organization’s members for a fun and motivating cause that inspires everyone involved.”

Each designer received 1,000 non-lubricated condoms in a variety of different colors. They then wove them together to make outfits such as dresses, kimonos, basketball jerseys and anything in between. Contestants had a little less than two months to create their condom costumes before participating in a runway competition. This year, 15 students were expected to compete in Condom Couture. Each participant got to pick his or her model and create the entire outfit purely out of condoms and condom wrappers.

“The outfits created are extraordinary,” Ren said. “From far away you wouldn’t even think they were made of condoms but when you look closer you realize the entire thing is condoms. It’s crazy but so exciting to see such talented students participating in this great cause.”

Professors judged the competition, and three designers were chosen as the year’s condom couture winners. The proceeds funded public health initiatives in Rwanda by the award-winning nonprofit Partners in Health. 

Bernice Chuang is a fourth year double majoring in Broadcast Journalism and Communication Studies-Human Relations and doing the Business Foundations Program (aka business minor) at the University of Texas at Austin. Born and raised in Houston, Texas, Bernice is a fan of good country music and yummy barbeque! At UT, Bernice is a resident assistant at an all-female residence hall and currently serves as a senator representing her residence hall, Kinsolving, on the Resident Assistant Association. She also leads a small group bible study for Asian American Campus Ministries and sings with her campus ministries’ a cappella group. When she’s not juggling her various roles and commitments, Bernice enjoys exploring downtown Austin, shopping with her fellow RA staff members, reading books on faith and spirituality, learning how to cook and tackling various dessert recipes, and spending quality time with friends.