Tessie Watson: Following Her Burnt Orange Passion

Posted -

Ask any fashion-minded UT collegiette about the one item that never goes out of style, and they’ll answer the same way: Anything burnt orange! It's true; no matter how deep your Texas spirit runs or how dedicated you are to watching football games, every UT woman knows the value of a good burnt orange piece. 

And so does Tessie Watson. Combining her love of fashion and experience in online merchandising, Tessie launched Longhorn Fashions in August 2010. The online boutique offers “unique burnt orange pieces at affordable prices,” an ideal that has won over spirited students and young professionals alike. Every item offered is under $100, but the majority are under $50.

While customers can browse inventory online at Longhornfashions.com, burnt orange fashionistas can check out merchandise in the “Longhorn Fashions Boutique on Wheels.” Tessie’s restored vintage trailer is parked at Bevo Boulevard before all UT home games.

HCTX: Are you an alumnus of UT?

TW: Yes. I went to LSU my freshman year, transferred to UT, and then graduated in ’09. 

HCTX: What did you study?

TW: I was in the College of Communication and was in the Business Foundations program. I was also an intern in online marketing.

HCTX: So that seems like an interesting jump to Longhorn Fashions!

TW: Yeah! Well, I knew I wanted to open a boutique, or some sort of store. My interest was definitely in retail. And I wanted to do more of the business side of it. I worked in retail during college and in high school. I made purses with my sister and mom. I’ve always kind of been actively involved in fashion and merchandising, but I majored in communication and did Business Foundations to know the online marketing side of it instead of doing the typical fashion program. I kind of did a different route.

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login